Working With Fractions.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A u-tube video of two idiots that can't remember a measurement for 20 seconds is not evidence that one measurement system is better than another. It is only evidence that 2 idiots that can't remember a measurement for 20 seconds can still get rich in America.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A u-tube video of two idiots that can't remember a measurement for 20 seconds is not evidence that one measurement system is better than another. It is only evidence that 2 idiots that can't remember a measurement for 20 seconds can still get rich in America.
While that's true, I still think the metric system is better. More precise, easier to use, base 10. Can't go wrong.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny enough, I use Imperial Units, but I use decimals for the inches. Goes with machining. Makes it hard to find a decent scale cheap though.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing is, the USA still mostly uses Imperial. I would have to spend a lot of time converting metric to Imperial and visa versa. It is easier to use local standards, which in your case is mostly metric.

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Of course mathematically, a fraction is a perfect number, because it's a ratio. So when making calculations fractions are great for accuracy. When measuring practically, particularly squares or cubes, the metric system wins hands down (even if it is a little less accurate.)

Strange though, in the UK, where we still use a combination of both systems (pints of milk, beer, but litres of fuel, spirits, pounds of vegetables but grammes of drugs,) the gnat's c**k and the bee's d**k still find their place!!!!!

Steve.:D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
This "more precise", is a fallacy. As long as the correct measurement is used they are the same. 8mm is no more precise than .31496 inches.;)
True, what I meant is that you can measure one millimeter more easily than .0393701 inches :p

EDIT: Where'd you get .31496?

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, misread your post :p

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Being a bit of an old fart I still remember when feet and inches were commonly used and find myself comfortable using both systems. The wife's a little different, whenever I tell her a measurement using the metric system her usual reply is "Speak English"!