Working TVS diode example needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by wind77, Jul 21, 2016.

1. wind77

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 21, 2016
    I am new to this forum. I am looking for guidance on learning more about TVS diodes. In looking about what info you need to know in choosing a TVS diode, I see you need to know about: Working voltage, Breakdown voltage, Clamping voltage, Peak Pulse current, and Peak pulse Power.
    Could someone please provide me with a "working hypothetical example" of choosing a TVS diode for the 5 terms listed above? I am especially stumped on calculating the Peak Pulse current, and Peak pulse Power, but feel a complete example would provide me with solid ground for knowing most about TVS diodes.

Please be kind as it is my first post.

Lisa

2. benta

Dec 7, 2015
    It is very application specific, you need to know what magnitude of discharge through the TVS can occur and this is very dependent on the environment.your circuit is placed.
    There are a couple of discharge models that are often used, that would be a starting point.
    Search for HBM or "Human Body Model" and MM or "Machine Model".

Benta.

3. benta

Dec 7, 2015
  4. wind77

Jul 21, 2016
    Can anyone tell me if there is another way besides using a TVS diode to control transient voltages in ones circuit?

TY,
    Lisa

5. benta

Dec 7, 2015
    There are plenty... capacitors, inductors, spark gaps, varistors, resistors, clamp diodes, active clamps etc.
    You need to be more specific.

Benta.

6. wind77

Jul 21, 2016
    Is the Peak Pulse current related to the current of a pwm dc square wave(microcontroller) or is it in reference to the transient current? Im sorry on this but I am just really confused.

Lisa