Working but useless UPS.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Long story short, I bidded (location Australia) $22.50, on a UPS, it was down as salvage, I thought a rating of 600 would be a small ups going by the picture, when i got there, i almost did my back in just lifting it.

http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=179529

So to my surprise, it had 12 12v lead acid batteries in series, but they all read less than 2v and some of them barely half a volt, no wonder it was not powering up.... also there was no power cable, so i had to do a make shift cable with crocodile clips exposed 240 volts across the floor, how fun.

Anyway, the machine sprang to life I measured the output to the batteries (12*12.5v = 150vdc) and sure enough before i even measured it i expected to be around 150vdc to correctly charge the cells, the multimeter was reading a steady 160.3v output DC.

The PCB's themselves look absolutely fine, it powered up, i could hear the relay switching when power off, everything looks perfect, absolutely nothing wrong with the UPS as far as i can tell...

But, in order to find out if it works correctly or not, i would have to supply 160vdc to see if the inverter and line filters work, the charging side works, it powers my devices when mains is connected, but that's as far as i got.

So what next?...

1. Jaycar Replacement costs.
-----------------
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2485&CATID=18&form=CAT&SUBCATID=250
6A 12v * 12 (22.35) = $268.20
-----------------
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2480&CATID=18&form=CAT&SUBCATID=250
1.3amp 12v * 12 (15.70) =$188.40

So remember i bought it for $22.50 lol, I COULD spend $268 and assume the inverter is working properly, and i'd have a great working inverter which would power my pc all day by the looks of it.

OR....

I can simply buy a cheaper US...

OR..

How about actually modifying it to run on say 12vdc? or salvaging it because even though it's 10 years old, there's no dust or dirt build up, it's very clean everything looks good.

Any other ideas or suggestions as to what to do with it?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sola makes good equipment. I guess the "600" on the cover must refer to the weight.

I can't find anything using the "600" as a term, but here is a link to Sola for UPS manuals. Be nice to know what the output was rated for.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
The first picture came out fuzzy, here's some better shots, check out how many transistors it's got :D - can't work out if that's a modified or sine wave or even how much power it delivers, 600va? or 600kva? nah has to be 600va right?..

on the second picture where my finger is, that's where the batteries are connected (160vdc) i'm not sure id like to touch that even when off, as the caps held it nicely (i checked, 10 mins later it still read 160vdc)

If any close ups are needed of certain parts, not a problem....

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
The batteries *may* recover to some extent if it's simply left powered up for a week or two.

I got a 3KVA one that had not been used for a couple of years and the batteries were completely dead. It took a few weeks but they came back to a decent capacity.

After a week or so, connect a small load (a table lamp or something similar) and turn off the input supply. It should run the lamp for a few seconds. Once it shuts down, turn the input supply back on.

Do this a couple of times a day, you should find that once it starts hold on at all, the run time will increase significantly each time. Move to a heavier load once it's running the lamp for a few minutes.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Oh yes, 600 tons it's rated for sure... it's amazing just the side panels alone are 2 - 3kg (6lbs or so) the batteries, then all the rest.... i had to wheel it out.

All i can tell you is, it's an old but not very used at all by the looks of it, the last stamp of approval was from 2002, I also guess that's the last time it got used...

But yes, if it is 600va that seems a bit under rated for something this size don't you think? and really 600kva? no way... if it is i better be careful... anything to give a clue as to output? capacitor size? the type of mosfets used? anything?

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
The batteries *may* recover to some extent if it's simply left powered up for a week or two.

I got a 3KVA one that had not been used for a couple of years and the batteries were completely dead. It took a few weeks but they came back to a decent capacity.

After a week or so, connect a small load (a table lamp or something similar) and turn off the input supply. It should run the lamp for a few seconds. Once it shuts down, turn the input supply back on.

Do this a couple of times a day, you should find that once it starts hold on at all, the run time will increase significantly each time. Move to a heavier load once it's running the lamp for a few minutes.

Yeah nice idea, I'm sure the cat wont mind with a couple of bare wires hanging out, this weekend i'll get the soldering iron out and insulate it, it'll be a hack job but worth trying after i reconnect all the batteries :)

- another possible way would be to somehow supply 160vdc just to see if it powers up on it's own and supplies 240vac or not... big voltages scare me, i'll stick to trying your method or harvesting for supplies...

and just to cap it off, $22.50 ($19 american) considered a good price for this UPS?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
First and fore most take the batteries out and check for bulges on 'em, Bulged ones are useless. Recycle them or get some money out of it for the leads inside.
Ok ones are where u should start, get an appropriate charger and post back and a battery tester if u can
I can get you to fix that thing. no worries.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
DUHHHHH

I got so obsessed with what's inside i never really took a look at the back!

Rating 3KVA
Output 240v/50hz/12.5amps
Cos 0.7

What's cos 0.7? how's that relate to the sinewave produced? is that modified? pure sinewave? anyone?

Thanks....

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
First and fore most take the batteries out and check for bulges on 'em, Bulged ones are useless. Recycle them or get some money out of it for the leads inside.
Ok ones are where u should start, get an appropriate charger and post back and a battery tester if u can
I can get you to fix that thing. no worries.

Oh yeah, i could individually charge each one, no buldges, but they do rattle a little when shaken (not a good sign). going to charge see what happens now..... thanks

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Rattles mean dried up cells, if maintenance free, than not much of a hope.
charge the good ones separately and test how long they can hold charge by load discharging them, u need to take out the lifeless ones first.

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Yeah forget it, all of them are dried up, i'm 99.9999% the UPS is fine now... should i sell it or strip it? not sure what to do with it now, sell it on ebay lol

I just think there's some valuable parts in there.... if it's a true sinewave.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
UR UPS is OK, You have to get new batteries.
You have to recycle the batteries.
If you are into power electronics then that UPS will have valuable parts.
If you do not want 'em, put it on ebay and I'll buy 'em, cause I need those kind of parts.
If you can ship that I'll be glad to get it from you.