Working as electronic engineer in Europe or US

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by THE_FALLEN, Mar 3, 2013.

1. THE_FALLEN

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi to everyone
    I'm a electronic student and i am going to emigrate to Europe or USA after i finished my master degree of electronic, I want to know which skills are more important and i must obtain them to work in that countries,
    I have skill in AVR and ARM programing,and I've started to learn FPGA designing...
    Do this skills enough to get employ in US or European countries ...

Thanks a lot

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    all depends on what the company needs.
    It's best to have a broad range of skills.

THE_FALLEN likes this.
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    That is a great question. Most of that kind of work has gone to India and the Far East.

THE_FALLEN likes this.
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The skills that you want to develop are good problem solving skills, not about programming ARM or FPGAs.

THE_FALLEN likes this.
  5. THE_FALLEN

Jan 11, 2011
    yes i know it depend on companies need but what kind of skills are more important and is great feeling to them?
    maybe there are so jobs in far Eats but there are bad condition for live and it is one of reasons that i want to emigrate.
    sorry MrChips,can you explain more about problem solving skills?this problems most related to what kind of devices or projects?

6. toffee_pie

Oct 31, 2009
    improving your grammar might be a good way to start your engineering career.

THE_FALLEN likes this.
  7. JMac3108

Aug 16, 2010
    I see job postings with a wide range of skills mentioned. But I do see a fair number that want micro-controller programming in C or occasionally C++. I see some FPGA experience mentined. And I also see a decent amount of switching power supply design.

Might I suggest using www.indeed.com which is a job search site. You don't have to create an account of enter any personal info. Just put in a major city in the US and search for electronics enginneer of electrical engineer. I know you're not looking for a job yet, but this will give you an idea of what types of jobs are being posted these days.

THE_FALLEN likes this.
  8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Hate to tell you but at this time as far as the US is concerned we have WAY..WAY more "software programmers" than jobs to fill. There are NUMEROUS very good/skilled programmers that are out of work now.
    Now IMO is a HORRIBLE time to come to the US. This isn't the land of endless opportunity anymore.. our government made darn sure of that over the last 10 years or so. It will come back but not until China/India,etc.. are forced to comply with the same laws we are.

You'd be better off joining the Iran nuclear program. :(

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If the former Soviet Union, now the Russian Federation, were to stage a massive geopolitical comeback and challenge everybody for global hegemony, you'd see a massive response from a scared s***less Congress. Taxes and spending would explode in an immune response of epic proportions. There'd be jobs for engineers and programmers as far as the eye could see. One can but dream.

tshuck likes this.
  10. THE_FALLEN

Jan 11, 2011

I see you aren’t content of your situation but you are living in democratic country and you can improve everything,
    You talked about Iran nuclear program but it isn’t Iranian people’s wishes, it’s our dictators plan to increase their power and to keep their domination. Those people can employ that they approve government policy. I was teacher in high school but they deported me and now I can’t employ anywhere that related to government. There is no place for conscious person in this country, everybody don’t like to leave his country but sometimes he has to …

11. toffee_pie

Oct 31, 2009
    good luck in getting a job in the USA.

as a junior you got little or no chance of getting a work visa.

I am not really interested in working in the USA and probably have enough experience to get a visa, but the relatively long hours and less than desirable holiday structure and pension breaks does not appeal much to me.

while the salary can be good its not the be all and end all.

12. JMac3108

Aug 16, 2010
    Can we drop the politics and stick to electronics and engineering jobs :)

I'm out in the marketplace and I don't see the dire situation others are portraying. I watch the job situation closely and I see a decent number of engineering and programming jobs posted. I did a quick google search and found that the unemployment rate for engineers in 2012 was around 2%.

Yes, there has been a lot of outsourcing of engineering jobs in the US, I have had my job outsourced before! But there are still plenty of engineering jobs in the US. I base this on my own personal job searches, and the unemployment rate for engineers.

So much for the positive ... now here is the negative ...

Employers feel like they are in control for the last several years. The result is that you have little negotiation room when it comes to compensation or benefits. Another thing is that employers are often posting jobs with a riduculous laundry list of requirements. I see postings that want extensive experience in analog design, digital design, switching power supply design, C/C++ embedded programming, and VHDL. Don't let this put you off when applying for jobs. If you have some, but not all of the skills they ask for, go ahead and apply anyway. They're not likely to find that guy described in the posting!

The market is harder than it used to be so we all need to work on our skills. For example, I always worked in companies where software and hardware were seperate. I specialized in hardware and wrote very little software. I realized a few years ago that this was holding me back, so I taught myself to program microcontrollers in C and ended up getting a job doing this.

tshuck likes this.
  13. toffee_pie

Oct 31, 2009
    haha

yep, companies think they can get someone with almost every high tech skill under the sun, AND with 10 years experience to boot.

they know they wont of course and get the closest candidates to match.

14. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The other slimy thing that employers do is post a job paying $18,000.00 per year and requires a PhD. The reason for this is that they are trying to snag either an H1-B candidate or an unemployed engineer who can't say no to the ridiculous offer. BTW that is about where they want to set the new minimum wage, and you can't live on your own on that wage.

15. electron_prince

Sep 19, 2012
    how is "engineering" related to "grammar". Chinese people know nothing about English grammar but they still make great stuffs.

16. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It is the burden of the engineer to communicate to the manager complex topics that would make most people faint from exhaustion.

Good communication skills are one of the engineer's most prized skills...