Work Bench/ Repair Station

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Ok I got permission from the boss (My Wife) to build a work station for my electronics and repairs.. So I am looking input or design suggestions because I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible like $50 or so ..
Oh the space is somewhat small and what do you guys use to supply power ?? I was looking to make some kind of rack to hold my equipment but am open for suggestions..

My equipment
Signal Gen
Tek 2215 scope
Frequency counter
Power Supply
Some kind of light
Laptop

Thanks
Jay

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Ok I got permission from the boss (My Wife) to build a work station for my electronics and repairs.. So I am looking input or design suggestions because I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible like $50 or so ..
Oh the space is somewhat small and what do you guys use to supply power ?? I was looking to make some kind of rack to hold my equipment but am open for suggestions..

My equipment
Signal Gen
Tek 2215 scope
Frequency counter
Power Supply
Some kind of light
Laptop

Thanks
Jay
Hee hee. My wife won't let me have one so I use the kitchen table.:D
I've always liked the ones with the shelf above. Makes more room on the work surface if you put the equipment on top. A power strip should work okay.
upload_2016-10-17_18-14-12.jpeg

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Craigslist and thrift stores, and the online free stuff for your county or waste district. If you have access to a pickup truck or a utility trailer you may get a great bench or solid old wooden desk just for the taking! "Used building materials" too. New plywood has become very expensive, but used stuff may look hideous, but is easy to clean up and stain or paint,

Another very cheap but solid desk is two small file cabinets with a door laid across them. Old hollow core doors are widely available for less than $5 or $10.

There are probably 30 different thrift shops (over 50 if I count the little part time ones) in my normal daily driving area, south of urban Seattle. I'm sure you've got some by you, but online is more convenient.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Wow you guys have some great ideas and file cabinets are not going to work for me lol..
Hee hee. My wife won't let me have one so I use the kitchen table.:D
I've always liked the ones with the shelf above. Makes more room on the work surface if you put the equipment on top. A power strip should work okay.
View attachment 113843
Thanks this what I seeking and should be perfect. . Yeah I had nudge my wife because I have alot repairs and keep working on my kitchens is not a good idea..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That bench which seems to have a metal frame needs some diagonals or some plywood sheets to minimize racking (wobble).
I think a couple of triangles from the upper shelf to the back of the main surface and a chunk of plywood along the back of the lower frame.
Then add a lip at the rear of the main surface so you don't lose parts off the back edge.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
That bench which seems to have a metal frame needs some diagonals or some plywood sheets to minimize racking (wobble).
I think a couple of triangles from the upper shelf to the back of the main surface and a chunk of plywood along the back of the lower frame.
Then add a lip at the rear of the main surface so you don't lose parts off the back edge.
Wow thanks for the get info

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
@MrChips
Would you suggest the getting TDS210 or getting newer but used Silgent or Hantech scope and what maybe a usb scope??
Of course it depends on the price and condition and your budget.
TDS210 is 60MHz.
TDS220 is 100MHz and sells for more

Personally, if I didn't have a scope, the choice would have to be between a used analog scope (e.g. Tek 2213 or 2215) for under $100 or a used TDS210 for under $200 (if you can snag one).

In your case, since you already have a Tek 2215, I would shop around and hold out for a TDS210 at an affordable price.

(btw, I have three TDS1002 whose controls have all gone wonky. I have to inquire if it is a software or hardware problem. For that reason I would stay away from them for now.)

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Of course it depends on the price and condition and your budget.
TDS210 is 60MHz.
TDS220 is 100MHz and sells for more

Personally, if I didn't have a scope, the choice would have to be between a used analog scope (e.g. Tek 2213 or 2215) for under $100 or a used TDS210 for under $200 (if you can snag one).

In your case, since you already have a Tek 2215, I would shop around and hold out for a TDS210 at an affordable price.
(btw, I have three TDS1002 whose controls have all gone wonky. I have to inquire if it is a software or hardware problem. For that reason I would stay away from them for now.)
Well the Tek2215 is not completely back together and finished with repair/upgrade.. So I really don't have a scope to use and my life is too busy and not enough money.. The other day I managed to get a barely used Siglent SDS1052DL for a good price I think..Also my 2 main power supplies are down and need to be repaired among a crap load more..With a digital scope do you need a separate frequency counter??
I got the old kitchen table as my work bench and it needs some upgrades/mods.. I will post pics soon .