Words Fail Me

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Wow.

I was disappointed that the piece made no mention of how he came to be so talented.
Lester Holt, a Jazz lover from NBC News, interviewed him yesterday and he played on the Today Show. He started playing piano at 6 years old in Indonesia and felt that Jazz was simply a new 4th (or 5th) language for him where he could express himself - he didn't like reading music and playing what others have written.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I lived next door to a Savant and at or around the same age he could decipher the notes and timing by ear. It's as if they know it from birth.

Although he couldn't write original pieces he could however transcribe and read music; of course after being classically trained. He was eventually discovered by a Professor from Russia training him until he was 17. He eventually toured around the world but; fell to drug addiction as so many talented people do.

What is amazing is this child's ability to create music out of a few notes. That sets them apart.

Amazing people.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Watch. Just watch:

This kid better be careful. They're gonna have to break his fingers to level the playing field...
I've been playing the guitar since I was six... and I'm only an advanced-level amateur in it... but this is an entirely different thing... I actually envy the kid!
Thanks for sharing!

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
My father was both a drummer and a singer, I can't do either... And I've been asked repeatedly to stop trying..... :)