Wonder why UPS ground takes so long??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Nov 27, 2009.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I bought a scope from ebay. It was shipped via ups ground from Salt Lake on 11/20 and was not due to arrive Dec 1!!

I shipped my bicycle from Pittsburgh to San Francisco in 3 days using UPS ground!

I took a look at the shipping record and see it has been sitting in New Stanton since the 24th!! Now New Stanton is a small town 30 miles east of Pittsburgh.

It had to go right past a major city, now it needs to come back.

Maybe there is something I just don't understand about logistics. :mad:
  2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    UPS packages go from hub to hub before heading to the destination. When I was in western Oklahoma, the regional nearest hub was Amarillo TX, 125 mi to the south.

From that hub it went to a local hub in Guymon, OK 60 mi to the east to be put on the truck for final delivery to the end user.

Call New Stanton and see if you can arrange a pickup.
  3. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Thought of that. Don't have time today. I guess I will have to wait.

4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    you can go here and see why it takes so long to ship via UPS Ground to some areas, I usually get UPS ground stuff within 3-4 days, (from Digikey, I get it next day :) )

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Reasons why UPS is taking to long for your delivery.
    1. The shipper just used basic ground and they have 6-12 days to deliver it.
    2. You had it shipped days before a major holiday so you competing with a million FruitCakes and Turdukens for your package priority.
    3. Bad delivery drivers, mostly fedex, tend to mark your package as delivered or out for delivery and just throw it in the back of the truck till they get to your run next week. I've had FedEx mark a package as delivered on Tue. then show up Fri night at 9:30pm to actually deliver it.

As for the way the logistics work FedEx, UPS, and USPS all use the same planes so if it needs to take a plane ride sometimes it has to go as close as it can get, then take a truck the rest of the way. Now if it goes by truck all the way you just gotta wait it out as it goes from hub to hub. Whats ironic is that I can mail a priority package from FL to CA and it will arrive by plane in 2-3 days. Now if I ship a package from Miami FL to Gainsville FL it takes a truck the whole way and will take 3-4 days for delivery.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009