Wiring up 110/220??

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I have a hot plate that has a very non-standard plug. On the back, it says voltage rated for 110/220V and 2600W. The plug has three wires, white, black, and green. I wired this to 110V and the hot plate works, but it is rather slow.

Is there a way to connect the stove's plug to this? I bought a connector which has four wires, ground, neutral, black and red.

I was hoping that I could connect this like the following:

From Stove receptacle / To hotplate

black to black
red to neutral
neutral to green

Will this blow up? How can one apply 220V to this?

Steve

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your black should be L1 and red L2.
From either L1 or L2 to neutral you should read 117VAC (nominal)
At the breaker panel, neutral is connected to ground, unless going through a GFCI breaker. However, that is the only place that neutral and ground should meet. If you attempt to use the neutral wire for a ground, you will not receive GFCI protection, and you may wind up with stray current on the hotplate's chassis.

Your green (ground) wire on your hotplate should be connected to the ground wire.
Otherwise, your black=> hotplate black and red=> hotplate neutral should work.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Hehe, well, i hooked it up as I had said, then flipped on the breaker, and poof! :(
I tripped the main fuse and had to reset it, I'm a little leary of what to connect now.

I will look into what you said and maybe try it out. Thanks Wook

Steve

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi Steve.
Connect the hot plate black to phase 1, white to phase 2 and green to ground at your outlet for the 230V stove.
If unsure which of the 3 slots are phases at the stove outlet on the wall, are the ones that register 230V between them.
The ground is the one that will show 115V between it and each other slot.

Miguel:)