wiring solar panels

dorothy

Joined Dec 15, 2012
Hi

I understand the difference between parallel and series, ie one increasing voltage and the other increasing ampage.

I need to wire 12 x 12 volt solar panels to install a 24 volt system. Because of the space I have to put the panels in a straight line. I have looked at quite a few sites discussing this but still can't get my head round it. All the diagrams seem to show the panels in side by side pairs.

I have wired positive from first panel to positive on third then 5th then 7th panel etc., and negative from second panel then to negative on 4th, 6th, 8th panel etc. I know I have to wire across from negative to postitive to increase 12 volts to 24 volts. What I am not sure about is if this only has to be done once to increase from 12 to 24 volts. If I repeat along the panels will it keep increasing the voltage. Either my ampmeter is going crazy or or I am over egging the system, as the meter was reading 126 volts.

Can anyone help with a diagram (idiots guide).

thanks

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Wiring the panels in series will give you a higher voltage. Wiring them in parallel with give a higher current output.

Depending on your panels, you may need to wire pairs in series then wire all of those pairs in parallel,

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Put 6 in parallel (12V) and put this in series with another group of 6, to get 24V.

This assumes all the cells are nearly the same. It also assumes that a 24V nominal, open-circuit voltage is really what you need. If you're trying to charge a 24V battery, you'll likely have to put all the cells in series.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I think I get where you are stuck. Each pair is in series, then the pairs go in parallel,like so:

As you wire this, each pair should read 24V, and that should stay 24V as each pair go in parallel.

Attachments

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Put 6 in parallel (12V) and put this in series with another group of 6, to get 24V.

This assumes all the cells are nearly the same. It also assumes that a 24V nominal, open-circuit voltage is really what you need. If you're trying to charge a 24V battery, you'll likely have to put all the cells in series.

How did you determine it is 6 in series form the OP? The OP never really mention the voltage of the panels. Assuming 2 standard 17V panels, two in series would be needed not 6. So 2 in series with 6 pairs in parallel.

dorothy

Joined Dec 15, 2012
Hi

Thanks for all the replies and especially the diagram. It was very cloudy and nearly dark by the time I finished wiring the panels today but I will check them tomorrow. It looks like I have wired them as per the diagram. The voltage reading still a bit of a puzzle.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's normal. Solar panels always give strange voltage readings at, "nearly dark".
Try again tomorrow.