wiring solar panels

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dorothy, Dec 15, 2012.

1. dorothy

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Hi

I understand the difference between parallel and series, ie one increasing voltage and the other increasing ampage.

I need to wire 12 x 12 volt solar panels to install a 24 volt system. Because of the space I have to put the panels in a straight line. I have looked at quite a few sites discussing this but still can't get my head round it. All the diagrams seem to show the panels in side by side pairs.

I have wired positive from first panel to positive on third then 5th then 7th panel etc., and negative from second panel then to negative on 4th, 6th, 8th panel etc. I know I have to wire across from negative to postitive to increase 12 volts to 24 volts. What I am not sure about is if this only has to be done once to increase from 12 to 24 volts. If I repeat along the panels will it keep increasing the voltage. Either my ampmeter is going crazy or or I am over egging the system, as the meter was reading 126 volts.

Can anyone help with a diagram (idiots guide).

thanks

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Wiring the panels in series will give you a higher voltage. Wiring them in parallel with give a higher current output.

Depending on your panels, you may need to wire pairs in series then wire all of those pairs in parallel,

dorothy likes this.
  3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Put 6 in parallel (12V) and put this in series with another group of 6, to get 24V.

This assumes all the cells are nearly the same. It also assumes that a 24V nominal, open-circuit voltage is really what you need. If you're trying to charge a 24V battery, you'll likely have to put all the cells in series.

dorothy likes this.
  4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I think I get where you are stuck. Each pair is in series, then the pairs go in parallel,like so:

[​IMG]

As you wire this, each pair should read 24V, and that should stay 24V as each pair go in parallel.

dorothy likes this.
  5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

How did you determine it is 6 in series form the OP? The OP never really mention the voltage of the panels. Assuming 2 standard 17V panels, two in series would be needed not 6. So 2 in series with 6 pairs in parallel.

6. dorothy

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Hi

Thanks for all the replies and especially the diagram. It was very cloudy and nearly dark by the time I finished wiring the panels today but I will check them tomorrow. It looks like I have wired them as per the diagram. The voltage reading still a bit of a puzzle.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's normal. Solar panels always give strange voltage readings at, "nearly dark".
    Try again tomorrow.

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I thought the "12 x 12V" meant 12 individual cells at 12V nominal output each. If that's not right, the OP can ignore my previous comment.