Wiring primary of this transformer?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
My project is in a wooden chasis, but I'll be using a bolt to connect up everything that needs ground via wires.
I hope you don't mean to secure the ground leads together using a bolt tightened against a wooden base. It might just about be OK to pinch the connections between some nuts on the bolt, but it is not good to rely on the tension of a bolt in wood for an electrical connection.

It would be better to use something intended for securing mains electrical connections, like a proper terminal block or junction box.

Black to Black and Red to Red is correct.

There is no way to know for sure what the secondary voltage is. It will be 6V or 12V, center tapped, but an educated guess would say 12V since we are told it is a 240 Volt transformer and the highest output voltage would be listed and can still be achieved with either 240V or 120V configuration on the primary.

Danny

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
I hope you don't mean to secure the ground leads together using a bolt tightened against a wooden base. It might just about be OK to pinch the connections between some nuts on the bolt, but it is not good to rely on the tension of a bolt in wood for an electrical connection.

It would be better to use something intended for securing mains electrical connections, like a proper terminal block or junction box.
I shouldn't have said bolt, because I'm not actually using one. I'm using one of those Radio Shack solderable terminal strips and I soldered all of the connections together with a piece of 12 gauge wire.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103233

that except the 5 connections are soldered together.

That's what I am doing.

Thank for the concern.

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Black to Black and Red to Red is correct.

There is no way to know for sure what the secondary voltage is. It will be 6V or 12V, center tapped, but an educated guess would say 12V since we are told it is a 240 Volt transformer and the highest output voltage would be listed and can still be achieved with either 240V or 120V configuration on the primary.

Danny
Does "12V" mean +/- 12V or +/-6V?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Thanks everyone - for telling me I'm forgiven.

For those new posters; be aware. Do something right and no one remembers. Do something wrong and no one forgets.

:)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So it's alright to use the fuses after the DPST switch? In that case, that simplifies things a lot. Well of course I can. I'm acting a fool right now, so excuse me.

I think I'd like to use two fuses, for some reason. I have a crapload of nice panel mount fuse holders, so I think I'll do two.

Thank you for clarifying the fuse value, because I really never knew how to do that correctly. I'll go with a 5A fuse on the power amp, and I guess 1A for the other transformer.

Thanks.
NO!

I would use one fuse and one SPST switch.

The fuse is the first thing that gets connected to the AC mains.
The BLACK LIVE wire from the AC power cord goes to the tip of the panel mount fuse holder. I would put heat shrink tubing where the LIVE is connected on the fuse. In your case a 1A-SB fuse should do. I can't see you taking more than 100W from this thing.

The other terminal of the fuse is connect to the SPST POWER switch.

Connect the black leads of the two transformers to the other terminal of the switch.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Okay then. But can I still use a DPST switch because I already have one and it cost me over $10?
Well clearly you can: even if you only want the SPST function, no-one is forcing you to use both poles. It's quite common to switch both live and neutral though.

The real no-no is to put a fuse in the neutral, as that can easily leave the equipment "hot" in the case of a fault. So one fuse, in the live connection.

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
Well clearly you can: even if you only want the SPST function, no-one is forcing you to use both poles. It's quite common to switch both live and neutral though.

The real no-no is to put a fuse in the neutral, as that can easily leave the equipment "hot" in the case of a fault. So one fuse, in the live connection.
Oh sorry did you think I mean't TWO fuses. One on live and one on neutral?

I meant TWO, but ONE per each transformer's live line.

Is that possible? Or should I just group the load together into one fuse?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That Rod Elliot guy is a wizard in Land of Oz. I don't know if they have different standards down under or what. You'd be best to check CSA/UL standards for North America.

The fuse is to prevent a disastrous fire. If the DPST switch comes first and it shorts you would have a lot of current (15A) flowing before the house circuit breaker trips.

Sure you can use the DPST switch but put the fuse on the LIVE side first. NEVER fuse the NEUTRAL side.

I would go with one fuse first at the LIVE line.

Last edited:

TheLaw

Joined Sep 2, 2010
That Rod Elliot guy is a wizard in Aussieland. I don't know if they have different standards down under or what. You'd be best to check CSA/UL standards for North America.

The fuse is to prevent a disastrous fire. If the DPST switch comes first and it shorts you would have a lot of current (15A) flowing before the house circuit breaker trips.

Sure you can use the DPST switch but put the fuse on the LIVE side first. NEVER fuse the NEUTRAL side.

I would go with one fuse first at the LIVE line.
In that case, I'll go with one fuse one DPST. I calculated around 5A for the one transformer and 1A for the other, so I'll go for somewhere around a 6A slow blow.

Thanks.