Wiring multiple leds together in tail lights

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lbjallday, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbjallday

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    If I have multiple leds ready to be put into my tail light socket, how do I wire all of the leds together?

2. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    How many LEDs, white or red, what is the milliamp/volts of each LED, How many are to be used for brake and for taillight, Are all to be used at the same time and just be brighter and dimmer for brake and light?

3. lbjallday

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    20 white leds all 2V, and is it possible to use all for tail\brake lights?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    White are the wrong LEDs to use.

You might think you're getting more light output by using white LEDs, but your lenses will filter out all but the correct spectrum.

You should be using red-orange LEDs with a wavelength in the 620nm-626nm range.

They should also have a viewing angle that is greater than 65°. You probably have narrow-focus LEDs. This lets the LED manufacturer exaggerate the light output of the LED. Sure, they're bright - but only measured in a small dot at the optimal viewing angle.

Your usable light is in the aforementioned 620nm-626nm red-orange range for brake and rear running lights.

If your lenses are amber, look for LEDs in the 590nm-600nm wavelength.

5. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    You will probably have to do some experiments with the appropriate LED's, reflector and viewing angle to get some realistic data to work with. Also, day and night brightness figures, with appropriate dimming may be necessary. I think you have your work cut out for you.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

6. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    " A man's got to know his limitations " :rolleyes:

Or so says "Dirty Harry" Callahan, in Magnum Force, circa 1979 or somewhere in there................sorry..........couldn't resist :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    It is illegal to tamper/change lighting on motor vehicles in Canada because too many kids tried it and caused accidents because they could not be seen.

8. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Check your local laws if you life elsewhere, as they may specify rather precisely what you are allowed to do. And remember that ignorance of the law is no defense.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.