wiring in kenya

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by driftwuud, Jan 14, 2010.

1. driftwuud

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Hello all, I am planning a trip to Kenya to completely wire an orphanage. I know that their wiring materials and methods are totally different than north america. If anyone can give me any information about this that would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    Well, its going to be 220, I can say that,

what is your prior experience?
  3. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    On this site there is a post about container power supplies for small
    operations,keep the post alive there is information about power all over the
  4. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
    Kenya was a British colony and as far as I can gather they use the same power outlets and adhere to the same wiring standards as used in Britain. I don't know if you can find the Kenyan wiring code anywhere on-line but in any case you would not go too far wrong if you stick to the British wiring code.
    As Paulo540 stated the supply voltage is 220V-240V so wiring to US wiring standards would certainly not be a good idea.
  5. 3ldon

Jan 9, 2010
    Consider the cost vs benefit vs risk of electrifying a village.

Sure it needs to be to code, but who's code? If you can't afford it, is it better to have electricity and wired up with whatever is available, or none at all?

Code don't differ too much between 120 and 240volts, if you can't find their codes then read up on both the Brittish and American codes, they are pretty much the same.
    It's mostly common sense stuff ..don't use conduit as the ground, keep in mind that the earth is dry so use more than one "ground" etc.
  6. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    What do you think about an experiment for emergency shelter
    with Kevlar and solor,leds,hand crank power.