Wiring diagram of an electrified hinge explanation?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by siliconviet, Apr 16, 2014.

1. siliconviet

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Dear All,

I am studying how to wire an electrified hinge

ACSI Hager BB1279 4.5x4 1104 4 4.5" x 4" 4 Wire Electric Hinge-Full Mortise-Standard Weight-Ball Bearing-Steel Base-Satin Brass Finish

http://absupply.net/acsi-stanley-fb...earing-steel-base-polished-chrome-finish.aspx

I found the wiring diagram in the attached pdf.
    I don't understand for what they need so many wires? (6 wires, 8 wires, 12 wires).

How to connect the electrified hinge with the power supply, the alarm horn?

Your help is much appreciated
    Best regards

2. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    The type in your first link is a 4 wire hinge, which would suit a simple alarm horn .

You select the wire pair as shown in the installation pdf for horn operation for either when the door is closed or open.

The other hinges that have more wires are for more complex alarm systems

3. siliconviet

Mar 30, 2014
    Thank you, ericgibbs

I saw in the wiring, the 4 wire has: red yellow violet gray.

But the wiring diagram closed loop use black and white ( both colors are not in the 4 wire) ; and the open loop use black and green ( both colors are not in the 4 wire).

How to wire?

Best regards

4. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi,
    Do you have a test multi meter.?

If you used a meter on the Ohms resistance setting you can measure the resistance of the wires connected to one side of the hinge to the other.

If you want the alarm to sound when the hinge is opened, find the pair of wires that have zero resistance when the hinge is opened and has infinite resistance when closed.

5. siliconviet

Mar 30, 2014
    Thank you very much.

I have not bought the hinge yet. I 'm studying how to use to make sure what kind of hinge is needed for me, then buy it.

At the moment, I think that the Electric Through Wire with Monitor Hinge 4 wires will have 11 wires,
    4 pairs of wires to tranfer current through, and 3 wires to monitor door status (open or closed). is it correct?

Please see the attached wiring schematics if it is correct.

6. Moon968

Apr 14, 2014
    This diagram is useful to understand the electrified hinge.