Wiring Diagram For my Boat Project

vzaia86

Joined Oct 13, 2008
Hi all,

I just need someone to confirm if the wiring diagram I have drawn up will in fact actually work. See attachment.

I have 4 Hella lights 12 V 110W total for each light.

Each light comprises of two 55W globes to provide the 110W total. Each globe has its own + wire. See diagram.

I plan to run the lights to 20A switches.

Please confirm. Also does anyone know where I can take ACC from a boat to ensure the circuit does not drain the battery.

Thanks

Vince

P.S If your wondering what all the circles are on the drawing. They are supposed to represent plastic tubing for water proofing purposes.

Attachments

Andrew Leigh

Joined Sep 8, 2008
Hi,

firstly as a fellow boater I would advise safety first. You to NEVER power any major current drawing source from the battery that starts your boat. All that will happen is that you WILL eventually end up in a position where you are unable to start you boat.

To achieve what you want you will typically require a dual battery system with some fancy electronics that will allow the secondary battery to charge off the boats alternator whilst on the move. This is standard for those with trolling motors, live well pumps, lots of lights etc.

If you are determined to continue with the project as is then remember that together the four lights (8 globes) will be drawing 36,6A. This will only give you about 2 hours of operation on an 80Ah battery. You can google for circuits that will drop the battery out when it reaches a predetermined voltage.

Your schematic needs a fuse for protection and I would include for allowing banks of lights to come in. I will do a schematic of what I believe may be an option for you that will save battery consumption when possible.

Andrew

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I spent several hours trying to help this poster weeks ago on this very same topic.

This new schematic he posted disregarded most of my input.

There is not much of a way to help people who either cannot or will not listen.