wiring a AC 120 v motor to make is reversable

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Im trying to wire a 1/2hp 120v Harbour Freight motor to a dpdt switch to make the motor reversable on a draw bench Im constructing. The motor has 4 wires black red orange and white.

Not all single phase motors are reversible (without completely rewiring internally) If your motor is, it will usually state that on the "name plate", where the specifications are. Also inside the wiring cover plate it will show the wire connections for each direction.

Most motors sold for, "compressor duty" at Harbor Freight are not reversible. This is why they can sell them so cheap.

But after looking at your manual, this one can be reversed. Go to; http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electric-Power-Utilities-2405/Wiring-reversing-switch-110V.htm It will give a explaination on how to do it.

Last edited:

drinkr

Joined Aug 7, 2010
this motor is reversible. I modified my post to add the manual. I can change direction by changing the black and red wires

drinkr

Joined Aug 7, 2010
Im not sure if I understand yet. I wanted to use the motor both forward and reverse with a dpdt switch. Is this possible

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Can't anyone look at the attached PDF for the motor wiring???? Instead of speculations and theories, it is much better to provide an actual solution for the OP's question.... which is pretty simple if anyone bothered to look at the motor specs....

DPDT AC Motor Reverse.png

In the above circuit, the motor will be rotating counter clockwise when Relay is not energized, once the relay is energized, then the motor will spin clockwise.... Just remember to have to motor power off, and the motor needs to be at a complete stop before switching rotation direction, if you try to switch the rotation while the motor is spinning or powered up, it will just continue to go in the same direction and WILL NOT switch directions.

The same wiring can apply to a DPDT switch since the illustration shows a DPDT relay, just connect the same connections to your switches NO, and NC connections....

B. Morse

drinkr

Joined Aug 7, 2010
would it be possible for you do send the same kind of drawing for a DPDT switch? Im a novice in these type of things. Thanks in advance

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Let me re-emphasize BMorse's suggestion. It is rare to find a 110V single-phase motor that is instantly reversible. That is, if the armature is still turning, and you throw the DPDT switch, there is a very high likelihood that the motor will continue running in the same direction.

I suggest a DPDT center off switch. ALWAYS pause at the off position until the motor stops rotation before going to reverse. Special switches are made that have a lock out to ensure a stop, but if you are the only user, you can probably get by without the lock out.

John

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
jpanhalt is right, I want to emphasize that the drawing submitted here for guidance requires the AC mains to have a separate switch, which has to be switched off, and the motor/armature is at a complete stop before switching the DPDT switch to reverse direction...

B. Morse