Wires

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lightfire, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Lightfire

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I bought some wires and I looked on it and saw something.

"2-C 0.75 sqmm SPT-1 300 V FLAT CORD COLUMBIA WIRES & CABLES PHILIPPINES"

I bold the bold text letter because I guess the "COLUMBIA WIRES & CABLES PHILIPPINES" are the one who made the wire or the company who made the wire.

So what does the bold text means?

Here's one more.

"0.50mm²/2C SPT-1 PHILFEX FLAT CORD CAT. NO. FC 20"

So what does it means?

Are those wires OK for a 12 volt battery that delivers 12 amperes per hour?

Thanks.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    2-C = two conductors.
    0.75 sqmm = 0.75 square millimeters; this is between AWG-19 and AWG-18 in size.
    SPT-1 = suitable for lamps, clocks, household fans and small appliances where not subjected to hard usage.
    300 V = rated for up to 300 volts.
    ---------------------------------------
    0.50mm² = 0.5 square mm wire diameter, approximately AWG-20 in size (a tad smaller).
    2C = two conductors.
    SPT-1 = suitable for lamps, clocks, household fans and small appliances where not subjected to hard usage.
    ---------------------------------------
    You could use it to wire a bulb to your battery. Make certain to include a fuse and a switch in the wire connected to the positive terminal, so that you can turn the bulb on and off easily, and so that you cannot subject the wire to excessive current.

I suggest using a 5A slow-blow fuse in a suitable fuse holder assembly (insulated). I do not know what fuse holders you have available for purchase in the P.I. However, you can probably get a suitable one from an automotive parts supply store.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In the real world fuses prevent fires. Many homes are burned down every year due to what should be simple electrical faults.

4. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. But is it Ok to put two fuses in both negative and positive??? thanks.......

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Not needed, just wasted money. A fuse is like a switch, when it blows the circuit is broken. You only need it in one power lead, not two.

6. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    But is it OK? I guess. In philippines it costs at about 1 dollar (already five pieces of fuse 12 v 15 amp Iguess) not included the holder. If included holder, you would have to ready 2 dollars. :D

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    No, 15 Amperes is too high.
    Use a 5A fuse.

The fuse needs to be rated for less current than anything else in the circuit except for the load.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    ah yes. xD