Wires recommended for soldering smt pic 12f

amitr12345

Joined Jun 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am using a very low diameter wires to solder a pic 12f629.

I think it may cause theprogramming failure i am experiencing due to high resistance (maybe)

What do u pro's recommend for soldering on a bread board (diameter, brand)?

I am using a sop to dip 8 pin convertor and then soldering on the bread board, from the breadboard i put dip pins which connects directly to a pickit 3.

Meaning pickit is connected directly to the bread board without further wires.

Thaught that maybe lowering resistance of cable by getting a wider diameter will solve the issue..

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I often use #30AWG wire for PICs, a small diameter wire. As there are only very low currents involved such wire is just fine.

(For power linesI'll use #26 solid bus wire

I would never wire my PICkit into the circuit. I use connector pins (called berg strips and other things) like so:

Snap off 6 pins and wire into circuit, just plug in the PICkit when it is time to program. If I'm going to be doing debug on the unit I'll get right angle connector pins so the set-up lays flat.

Miswiring the PICkit is one of the things I seem to always mess up. Check, re-check, and re-re-check these connections. My miswire is to swap data and clock.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's best to buy some small "SOIC SMD adapter PCBs" like this;

You can buy a card with lots of little PCBs of different SMD IC sizes, and snap them off the card when needed.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It's best to buy some small "SOIC SMD adapter PCBs"
100% agree. I have a small stock of various sizes in my parts box.

I get them off EBay from China for cheap, maybe a quarter for a SOIC-8, maybe a dollar for a 100 pin QFN. The better ones have different patterns on each side. They take about 2 weeks with free shipping, so I like to keep them in advance of need.

With many of the newer parts only coming in SMD packages it's an important tool to have available.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I use kynar. I believe it was originally produced for wire wrap (a whole other topic and now near obsolete) but it is still made. It works well, though the insulation will melt during soldering. Just try not to handle it near the end when soldering.

It comes in many colors which is always a help in wiring anything

Kynar is made from Polyvinylidene fluoride, or polyvinylidene difluoride (PVDF) is a highly non-reactive and pure thermoplastic fluoropolymer produced by the polymerization of vinylidene difluoride, and if you actually read all of that you've concluded none of it is of any use to you. I just coppied it from Wikipedia for fun.