Wirelessly Linked ICs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by IGill, Feb 12, 2013.

1. IGill

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Is there a simple way to form a wireless link for a simple pulse?
    On my bike I have a magnet attached to a spoke which passes a coil which produces a pulse. This pulse is the basis for a speedometer / milometer.
    The pulse is transmitted to the bile computer wirelessly, which is nice because it is neater.
    I want to have a go at make my own milometer as an experiment and want it to be wireless.
    Can you get pairs of ICs which will link wirelessly? There are so many wireless devices around these days that I would have thought they would be common place but I cannot find anything on a search.
    A pointer in the right direction would be appreciated.
  2. SPQR

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm not sure your' going to find IC's that link wirelessly, but I wonder if you could "sense" a pulse produced by a magnet going by a reed switch or a coil.

You could generate RF that could be sensed by a circuit.
    You might give off a pulse of IR from an IR LED that could be sensed by an IR receiver.
    HERE's something using a piezo element.

Let's see what others say.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    IGill likes this.
  3. IGill

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for that, I will read the article that you referenced with interest.

It seams that these days almost anything with a battery has wireless capability. I had hoped that there would be some cheap and readily available method of forming a wireless link.
  4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    There are some microcontrollers, PICs as far as I know, that have an RF transmitter built in.

Other than that, you'll need to find some sort of transmitter to attach to your sensor.

The problem with simply attempting to 'listen' for a single pulse is that you can't differentiate from ambient noise. I'd recommend getting a transmitter receiver pair, like the 433MHz el-cheapo ones, running some modulation scheme and transmitting data that is recognizable.

Otherwise, you could run a wire through your bike frame and use a CAN bus:)
  5. IGill

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for that. Knowing what to look for helps.