wireless vibration stimulus project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by razorcutter, Nov 27, 2013.

1. razorcutter

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    i am a doctor and I don't know even the ABC of electronics. So kindly bear in mind the stupid questions i may raise here

i want to create an electronic gadget which

has a transmitter and a receiver which communicate through wireless protocols

transmitter- must have 2 or 3 buttons. i will be pressing these buttons for 1 second max. They must activate the vibrators in the receiver end

receiver - must have 2 or 3 vibrators. the amount of vibration in a cell phone will be quite sufficient. i want to place these 2 or 3 vibrators on different parts of skin

how do i go about this project. kindly guide me

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Doable, but requires some knowledge of electronics.
    Just as I wouldn't attempt any kind of surgical operation on anyone.
    You can actually buy the tiny vibrators used in cell phones.

3. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    The easiest route for a new comer is probably to use available modules and this probably means a micro-controller (PIC/Arduino) at either end with radio modules (one option may be bluetooth but other radio modules are available). Driving the vibrators would just need a transistor driven from one of the micro controller pins.

You could do it without micro-controllers but that is probably a bit more challenging.

You could write phone app to act as the controller/transmitter over bluetooth but that is a whole other learning curve, not too difficult though.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    How far away will you be from the patient?
    You can use IR.

A simple solution would be to use a TV/VCR/DVD universal remote.
    The receiver part is not difficult to build with some technical assistance.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There are commercial devices for locating often-lost items like keys or remotes. (Just google "key finder".) They beep when triggered remotely. It seems like it might be a simple hack to buzz a cellphone motor instead. Some are already color coded so that you can find more than one object by activating the appropriate color.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    There are also commercial remote controlled "sexual vibrators" that do exactly that too..