wireless remoting a PTT switch?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mixedup, Jul 27, 2015.

1. mixedup

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    What would be the simplest way to remote (wireless) a PTT switch from a UHF radio? Only a short distance? Would want to mount the remote PTT switch onto a helmet and have it connected to the little transmitter.

(e.g. something available already to buy that does this, or look towards arduino?)

switch.jpg

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    The el-cheapo Keyfob transmitter and matching receiver (315MHz) available on Flea-Bay would do this. Because you are controlling a 460Mhz transmitter, you should avoid 433MHz.

3. mixedup

Jul 26, 2015
    ok I'll have a look - hopefully they would be PTT (i.e. keep the switch on at the remote end until you lift your finger up at which time the remote switch goes off)...

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Yep. The transmitters have anywhere from a single to four buttons.

You want the single-button version of this model, not the one with the relay. This has nothing to do with an Arduino. Some idiot threw that in to the description thinking that would make someone buy it.

The receiver has four outputs, of which you will use only one. The non-latched version of the receiver output pin stays high as long as the tx button is pushed. Even if you were to buy the four-button tx, you could "or" the four outputs so it doesn't matter which tx button is pushed. The rx runs on 5V. It's CMOS output pin will source a few mA, so an NPN transistor will key the PTT line on your radio.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. mixedup

Jul 26, 2015
    ok - think I see them - seems ok as long as no-one else is using the same idea close to your right? :)

6. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    They are solder-tab strapable to a unique code. They have 9 address pins, each of which can be tied low, tied high, or left open, meaning that you can have 9^3 = 19K different addresses. They ship unstapped, with all nine address pins open. Obviously, the tx must be strapped the same as the rx.

7. mixedup

Jul 26, 2015
    thanks Mike - that sounds very promising then - will order a few and try these out - thanks for responding

8. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    I bought a bunch of these to radio-remote control a drive-through motorized gate and my garage doors. With a full-size (outside) home-brew dipole antenna on the Rx, I get a useful 300ft range from inside a car using the four-button key fobs.