Wireless Power Transfer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Furqan Haider, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Furqan Haider

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Hello everyone. I have a project of Witricity and i made a wireless mobile charging in the shape of Witricity. Although i have already done with my project but i implement it on from 4-5cm range but i want to transfer this power from some more large range i.e. 1-2 meter. Please guide me that how can i made this possible. How can i charge mobile or run any appliance from about 1-2 meter ??

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Why?, whats wrong with a charging lead..

3. Furqan Haider

Jan 15, 2016
    There's nothing wrong with any component. The thing which i just want to know that how i can implement it from 1-2 meter. Whether i increase the no.of turns on transmitting coil or anything else? Guide me!

4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Bigger coil, bigger rf transmitter, bigger power consumption, just to charge a phone seems ridiculous to me.

thumb2 likes this.
  5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

you want to go from 5cm to 150 cm. That is 30x the distance. So, you just have to use the 1/d-squared law. In your case, 30 squared is 900. Use 900x more power than your first project.

You may need bigger diameter wires in your new project.

6. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    The flat truth about 'wireless' power. It's not easy to move beyond simple near-field induction. People are trying just about everything under the sky but I'm skeptical of wireless power in a room sized space for anything more than milliwatts is practical under current inverse square law physics unless some version of directional beam forming is used.

http://ubeam.com/

These guy are using ultrasonic energy.

GopherT likes this.
  7. Furqan Haider

Jan 15, 2016
    Ohhh you mean that i just increase the number of turns on Tx coil ?? Actually i used 36 turns receiving coil and 10 turns transmitting coil in my first project.

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    No, turns are not equal to power.

I am saying that if you put 10 watts into the first project, that you will need 9000 watts into the new project.

9. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Creating a matched resonance between the coils can increase the distance over which power can be transmitted.
    Have you got the proper equipment to determine your inductance and calculate the resonant frequency?

10. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
  11. Furqan Haider

Jan 15, 2016
    yes my both coils frequencies are matched with each other that's why i implement it successfully but now i want to run it at a range of 1-2 meters. how do i do this?

12. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Hey why bother charging a phone using approx 5W of power from the mains with a lead, just use a kilowatt instead with wireless charging,!!! :confused:

way to go Asia, world leaders in CO2 emissions....

thumb2 likes this.
  13. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Resonance only solves the impedance matching problem for better coupling of near fields, it doesn't solve the basic radiation or resistance loss problems.

14. Furqan Haider

Jan 15, 2016
    Sorry mate. I can't understand what you are trying to say. Just show me a map that how can i use kilowatt or some big power ??as one fellow says that upto 900W will be used for my desired thing.

15. Brevor

Apr 9, 2011
    Im thinking there may be a way to do this using a magnetron tube, it may also win you a Darwin award too.

thumb2 likes this.
  16. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Can you say Tesla Death Ray?

17. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Update: https://techcrunch.com/2016/05/11/charged/

18. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    He is saying that the minimal efficiency of wireless power transfer makes it impractical for real world tasks. He is saying, in literal terms, that to get 5 Watts of output power may require an input power of 1,000 Watts for an efficiency of 0.5%. In my estimation that would hardly be worth the effort.

19. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Separate from the dismal efficiency as a power transfer device is the excellent efficiency as a broadcast noise device. At 1000 W or 9000 W, 99% of the energy into the transmitter will turn into radiated noise that disrupts radios, TVs, and phones. This is guaranteed illegal.

ak

20. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    More to the point what is your present power transmitter circuitry designed as and what frequency are you using?

The next step is to basically make the same circuit that will operate on the same frequency but with a far higher power capacity.

Personally, some years ago I played around with wireless energy transmission using basic Tesla coils and their original designs as Tesla himself documented them. I had no problems with transmitting ~20 watts up to ~20 feet with only 100 - 200 watts of transmitter coil power that ran off a 15 KV 30 mA neon sign transformer and a spark gap.

The big trick is how to design a secondary coil set to the receiver coil that will allow for the primaries high-frequency high voltage power component to be down-converted to a lower frequency and voltage that can be easily rectified and converted to a usable DC power.

So I say it's totally doable. You just have to know how to get your energy back out of the system to make it work.;)