wireless power pole

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
For those of you who have never seen one...a Power Pole is a fiberglass rod about 12mm in diameter and about 2 meters long that is attached to a small hydraulic cylinder. This contraction is attached to the back of a small boat..When the cylinder extends it pushes the figerglass rod down below the water and into the ground....to act as an anchor of sorts...
Its much easier to hold the boat in position than deploying the anchor and chain, etc..Although its effective depth is about 8 ft. or so and therefore only good for that depth....
Anyway...it has a wireless control...so when you are up on the bow...you can activate the hydraulic pump and deploy the power pole..
Question....What component is used to do that .....obviously it's what you guys call an embedded system...is it a wireless chip..?
Could I get a discussion on how this is done and where you would purchase the components...?
Im just getting into the world of chips...and now Im noticing the embedded systems everywhere....
Fascinating...

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I didn't know such a thing existed, so my input is questionable. But, from this link, it looks like the RF controls for garage door actuators.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Y
AHHHH....radio frequency....of course..
yep....that's it...
I just hooked one up on my uncle's boat.....and I dont have anything as large as the pic that you linked to....no prob. thanks....
His RF signal must be coming from the pump module....the module appears to have enough room to house some electronics...there is a simple programming sequence that involves pusing a button on the top of the pump housing and on the remote dongle....
I wouldnt have asked the Q if I had snapped to the fact that it is prob. similiar to the garage door opener...thanks...

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Does anyone have a circuit that I can look at that sends out a RF....similiar to a garage door opener....?
Im interested in just how to do that....
thanks
D.