Wireless power from an inductor and an LED.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nonsuchpro, Sep 13, 2013.

1. nonsuchpro

Thread Starter New Member

May 31, 2013
    Hello all.

I was doing some reading/viewing on wireless and magnetic energy and stumbled across a guy using a LED and an inductor to check EMF off a vortex coil he had made. I have lots of inductors from speaker crossover building so I wanted to try it out. Well it worked for me on one instance. I made a video so someone can explain to me whats going on here. From what I read, you need 2 RLC circuits but this is just an inductor and an LED.

Here is my video:

Here what I thought was going on but this didn't work when I put it up to the dimmer receptacle.

Can anyone explain what's going on? Why does this work with just an inductor and an LED?

Thanks in advance!
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    IMO that is just demonstrating the switch noise off of the Triac in the dimmer, apparently the the switching harmonics created are close to the resonance of the coil LED combo.
    The other outlets are basic 60Hz sine wave.
    If you want another simple example of free radio (no power required), look up cats-whisker radio.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    nonsuchpro likes this.
  3. nonsuchpro

Thread Starter New Member

May 31, 2013
    Ah ok. Thanks for the reply.
  4. Jibby

Sep 12, 2013
    Resonance is the key factor. The L & C whether parallel or in series are got to be in resonance for maximum power transfer.
    nonsuchpro likes this.