Wireless Net Cam Problem

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by mazman, Jun 23, 2009.

1. mazman

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    I've installed a Panasonic Wireless Net Cam (BL-C20A) and it is connected wirelessly to my Netgear WGR614v9 router. All is well until I turn on MAC Address Filtering on the router. The camera cannot get through. Its MAC address is in the list. All other items on the list connect fine. Tech support told me that I have to add another MAC address one number higher as well. I have and it still doesnt work with filtering on. I know I have the right number, because I copied it from the router set up page where it shows up when connected without filtering. I've rebooted each item, I've upgraded the firmware on the router. Even did a factory reset on the camera. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. horsedorf

Jul 15, 2009
    On a system that can actually see the camera (when filtering is off) use "arp -a" and look for the IP address of the camera and see if the mac is truly what you think it is. it might not be what the setup page said it is.

Also , if the camera goes through a router before it hits the filter, the mac address will be different, as mac addresses are local to an ethernet and are not carried across routers. In other words, the router captures the packet, determines where it has to go, then forms a new packet out some other port and that will be carried with that ports' mac address.

Note this applies to *ROUTERS*, not ethernet switches or hubs.

So if you can direct connect to the wireless camera through, say, a laptop, then you should be able to get the actual mac for that camera. Also, the camera itself should have that information on it somewhere. Sometimes camera manufacturers use the last 6 digits of the mac address for the serial number. Then all you need is the UIN of the manufacturer to know what the first six digits should be.

Hope that helps.

3. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    any log info from the netgear?

the MAC filter on wifi gear usually block or allows that MAC to connect to the wifi, so with the filter on see if the netgear has a wifi association with the camera.