Wireless internet

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Ok, here's the deal -

My wife wants to be able to use a laptop at work for "personal" stuff like paying bills online etc. Stuff that we would normally do from home but would like to make use of some of her lunch hour etc. I'm "up" on electronics but was never much on the IT end of things. Can she use a cell phone connected to the laptop or, can she dial in from a standard phone line from work? Do we need a separate ISP account? The ISP we use at home would not cover the area where she works. I know the solution should be easy, just never considered the capability before.

Thanks

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
You can use a cell phone. However, the last time I was using internet over the cell, my average connection speed was about 14 to 18K. It was sickening. This was about two years ago, so hopefully things have improved.

I don't recall having to use a seperate ISP, because the number dialed by the cell / laptop was the same as dialed when on the home-line. For all I know, that may have just been a neat function of the ISP I was using.

Best bet is to contact your ISP (assuming that you're happy with them) and ask what they recommend.

n9xv

Joined Jan 18, 2005
Thanks for the reply Erin. I'll contact my ISP. We have ISP through our cable TV provider. Service has been great thus far, nothing to complain about.