wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Sunshinegirls, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Sunshinegirls

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 10, 2015
    I'm looking to stream stored files from my laptop (Windows 8) to my TV.
    Can I use my home wifi network to stream video?
    I know I can buy wireless HDMI transmitters and receivers but I don't know how about its quality.
    Have you good options for HDMI Extender?
  2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Last year I searched exhaustively for a solution to this. As of that time*, I could find no such proven "HDMI over IP network"** solution. There were a few questionable devices for sale on eBay and Alibaba claiming to transmit HDMI over IP network, but I could find absolutely zero reviews or any single person online who could confirm/deny that they worked at all, much less transmit flawless audio/video.

*NOTE At the rate tech is advancing, "last year" was a long time ago. There may be new devices on the market but I woulodn't know about them. Let me know if you find any.
    **NOTE there is a big difference between HDMI over Ethernet, and HDMI over IP network. There are plenty of HDMI "range extender" products out there which utilize Cat5/6 to transmit HDMI data and some of them have great reviews. But these are NOT compatible with your existing network. AFAIK they will not pass their signal through switches, routers or any other devices; they are meant for seamless end-to-end connection.

Now that we've discussed HDMI over IP, let's move on to streaming video (any video) over IP. Sure, obviously this is possible. Otherwise we wouldn't have Netflix. You can stream video over your network to any network-connected smartTV or other DLNA device in compressed format from a DLNA media server. Many smart phones have media servers in them and can stream to the smartTV. Many routers also have one, where you can plug a USB HDD into the router and stream video files to your TV. My Synology home NAS drive has one. There are many many options; google DLNA to learn more. Windows 8 has a DLNA server built into it. So if you have a smartTV, you can go ahead and start streaming your videos right now. Or, check out some of the other, better options like the popular PLEX.

If you don't have smartTV (like me - I don't) then just having a DLNA server won't do you much good. You'll still need a network interface to the TV. I think that products like ROKU, Apple TV, and Chrome TV have the capability to "turn your TV into a smartTV." but I've never tried it. I did see that there was a PLEX app available for download on my ROKU last time I plugged it in, but I did not investigate it. If you do any research on this, I'd like to know what you find; Can I stream from my NAS to my ROKU? I might answer that for myself before the day is over...
  3. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    When I really need a direct connection from my laptop to my home theater, I unroll my 15' HDMI cable and plug it in to my Macbook. It's not a bad option, and very cheap.

There are a lot of options, and your last resort should be an HDMI Tx/Rx solution, since it's the most expensive by far.

Other than a cable, the least expensive solution for playing files off your computer is probably the good old sneaker-net. You put the file on a thumb drive, walk it over to your TV and put it into a DVD or Blu-ray player that can play files off a USB drive. It doesn't have to be a thumb drive - a USB hard drive works fine too. Use a cheap backup drive - you DO backup your laptop, right? - to store your movie files and keep them off your laptop.

Another cheap, possible solution is the Chromecast. This thing costs only ~$25 and is pretty amazing. You'll probably need 3rd party software to do what you want, and maybe jump through a few hoops like moving your file to another location, but I bet you can do it.

Things like the Roku and AppleTV are <$100. I have an AppleTV and like it a lot, being an iPhone and Macbook user. The integration is amazing. I can use it to mirror my laptop screen but that's not a solution for watching a movie. Hence my cable.
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Whats so special about this laptop that you can't just pick it up and move it near the TV and plug it in?
  5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Oh, nice. So this was a spam attempt that I wasted half an hour of my life responding to. @Emily2015 and @Sunshinegirls I'm calling you out. You're the same person. Proof? I don't have any, don't need any. I know you are.
  6. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    They are the same.
    wayneh and strantor like this.
  7. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Oh good grief. :mad: