wireless + GUI

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi all

I would like to design an application that read data received by a wireless receiver which connected to a PC and displays these data via a graphical user interface.

my concern is that I'm not too sure which programming language to use...coz I think there will be some data collection and processing before displaying...I have VB and matlab in mind...

any suggestion??

regards

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
How is the wireless receiver connected to the PC (USB, serial, etc)?
I've used PYTHON to connect via serial to a PIC. PYTHON is available for Windows as well as Linux (which I use).
PYTHON is an interpreted language, with probably a steeper learning curve than VB, especially for the GUI part, but pretty powerful.
Here's a picture, with a bit more effort than I put in it's possible to make professional looking screens.

Attachments

Felo

Joined Feb 20, 2012
I think that VB is the most usefull in every computing need, VB is really coming up the ranks these days, there is a ton of docs and examples plus the express editions are free!! VC should also be a good choice.

Just what I think, Good Luck

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
How is the wireless receiver connected to the PC (USB, serial, etc)?
That's a good question! I'm not too sure but the 'bluetooh' wireless module is the one that will be used...I've never used that before so I don't know how the bluetooh receiver output port(s) is (are)...

Can anyone provide links/ressources on bluetooh so I can have an overview on how it works...especially the receiver part!!

I was also wondering how the GUI should read the received data? and in what format would the received data be?

BTW, I'm thinking of using VB6 for designing the GUI...
Thanks

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Can someone explain to me how to interface a bluetooth module to a PC?
Assuming a remote unit will be sending data wirelessly and a receiver is connected to the PC..

Another thing is assuming one has to create an application that needds to read the captured data...what are the logical steps in reading the data?
I been thinkin about this and here's what I came up with:

At startup, apps should detect wheter or not the bluetooth module is connected...
Well I guess there should be some kind of initialization...then what next?

Regards,