wireless desktop extentsion touchscreen/cheap tablet

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by voly, Sep 7, 2013.

1. voly

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    Hey guys, I want to make my son a cheap tablet for him to play with.

the idea is to set a multitouch screen with wireless connection to my pc so it will stream live feed of my desktop as an extension, than I can run a game on my pc and he will be able to play it on the wireless screen;
    so all that tablet will have is a touch screen, wireless connection and a power source.

the thing is i'm kind of clueless on how to start this project and could use some help, I have some friends who will help me later on but until then I would like to at least get the idea of which components I should use and how much will it cost me, especially the monitor and the touchscreen (the size should be around 10'').
    the main idea is that it'l be as cheap as it can be.

I'm not sure if i'm asking for to much or even if i'm asking at the right place but I will very much appreciate any help given.

Thanks a lot and have a great weekend.

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Nope, just buy one. They're pretty cheap on eBay.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You need a wireless connection with a lot of bandwidth. Such things exist - you can stream HD video wirelessly to your TV for example - so we know it can be done. But I don't think a "dumb" touchscreen can handle it. I think you need a computer on each end of the wireless connection. to handle the buffering, error correction and so on. And of course you'll need to send game control information back to your host computer.

I guess I'm saying I'm skeptical you'll find a solution that's any more practical than just getting an iPad.

4. voly

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    could you point me in the right direction? because I have been looking around and either found what I was looking for and it was expensive or couldn't find it at all

5. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    iPad or tablet with a remote desktop app. Not a DIY project.

6. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011