Wireless Communication

el3ktr1k

Joined Sep 24, 2008
I am trying to send data back and forth between my PC and a PIC16F877 microcontroller. Previously I would read and write data from the RS-232 serial port on the PC and use the Tx and Rx pins on the PIC. This worked fine. Now I want to be able to send bytes of data to the PIC via Wi-Fi. I'm not sure what I need in order to accomplish this task. Do I need additional hardware and software? Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A pair of wireless modems with RS-232 interfaces would seem like a good way to get started. Full Duplex operation will be problematical however.

el3ktr1k

Joined Sep 24, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried googling serial to wi-fi converter and I found this device: http://www.kanda.com/products/Sena/LS100W.html . I think that might be what I need. I'm not sure exactly how it works but it looks like it automatically obtains an IP address and automatically forwards data coming in on its serial port to some other IP address that I specify. I'm guessing I only have to enter my user name and password when I want to change one of its parameters and not everytime I want to establish a connection.