Wireless and lighting control

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by marcusbarnet, Jul 18, 2010.

1. marcusbarnet

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hi to all!

I hope you can help me and give me good advices :)

I'd like to use wireless in order to power on and off a lighting system.
    (it needs to have some additional features, but for now i just need to control the lights)

Can you tell me if there is already a project which I can study and try to realize, please? I tryed google, but I've found nothing.

I know I have to use a micro and a wifi module but since it is an homemade project, i'd like to use cheap components.
    I have a lot of unused wifi routers, can I use their wifi modules?

Thanks to all.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. marcusbarnet

Jul 18, 2010
    thanks for your answer.

However, I don't want to use a product which already exists.
    I'd like to find or make a circuit which I can realize on my breadboard for testing and improve it with new features.

For example, i don't need just a dimmer because I'd like to control also some servos and sensors.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  5. trader007

Feb 27, 2010
    i have a dimming switch from luetron in my living room. it runs off my universal remote so i just hit ch up or ch down and the lights work.

ill tell you what though, if you try to use the physical buttons on the device itself, its total garbage. unresponsive is just the beginning of it.... i immediately thought "wow, im sure someone could design better circuitry then this".

6. marcusbarnet

Jul 18, 2010
    yep, i've already read about ZigBee.
    The problem is that I'd like to control some webcams, too; do you think i'll have problems with streaming if I use ZigBee?

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Maybe take a look at X10 automation modules

8. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Yes, X-10 Modules are great for hacking, they have a controller which you can connect directly to a microcontroller via serial, and control all sorts of things with it, you can even build your own modules based on some of their products.... http://www.smarthome.com/1140/X10-Activehome-CM11A-Computer-Interface-CM11A/p.aspx

I use one of these myself....

B. Morse

9. marcusbarnet

Jul 18, 2010
    and X10 can streaming the webcam without problems?

I thought that X10 can only sends few commands like: On/off, Start/Stop etc..