Wire Wrapping, strain relief, wax string?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Waxed linen is incredibly strong and reasonably weather resistant. Waxed hemp is also known but quality varies significantly - large chunks of fiber looks more like baling twine instead of string.

I don't know what is used on the strain relief but don't go with anything using synthetic fibers or fiber blends. The wax will swell/weaken most synthetics.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It has been largely replaced with plastic alternatives, such as spiral wrap etc.
Used to be very common at one time, it is just too time intensive now.
You can probably still get waxed twine from a cobbler supply shop or wholesaler.
Max.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I found it very good, to secure it, if needed, there is double sided tape backed pads to hold it in place by way of a tie wrap.
Google 'Tie wrap adhesive pads"
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have never used spiral wrap how does it compare or hold up to waxed linens?
It won't give you the flexibility or hold of a traditional wire harness. With cable lacing, branches are held very securely. Nothing compares with the workmanship of someone who knows how to lace cables.

When I was in school (4 decades ago), we were taught how to do it; because many of our graduates ended up working for Tektronix where cable lacing was used extensively.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I disagree about the lack of holding capability, any slight difference is outweighed be the speed of use , convenience etc, the best way is to pick up a few feet and personally assess it.
Most local electrical suppliers usually stock it or a local panel builder might sell you a few feet.
http://www.clrwtr.com/ABB-Wire-Duct.html
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Waxed linen is incredibly strong and reasonably weather resistant. Waxed hemp is also known but quality varies significantly - large chunks of fiber looks more like baling twine instead of string.

I don't know what is used on the strain relief but don't go with anything using synthetic fibers or fiber blends. The wax will swell/weaken most synthetics.
I forgot to mention that the waxed linen is available at your local crafts store. The melti point of the wax is high enough that it is not sticky but if you cinch a knot quickly, you'll melt it and the knot never comes undone unless you have a nut pick and patience.

http://www.joann.com/waxed-linen-co...PRVC50nnUqAp-VIT0PtVYx6lRFdYcO_OmoaAmrN8P8HAQ

How do you know this???? Are you some kind of wax string guru or something? :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
How do you know this???? Are you some kind of wax string guru or something? :)
in 8th grade, an art teacher had us make waxed linen jewelry with knots/beads. I thought the material was excellent for many things since. I've used it to hand-sew rabbit fur/sheepskin mittens and repaired leather motorcycle seat on an Indian (not mine) and several other projects. I always have a few spools in the house. I've never thought of it for cable straps until this thread.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows the name of (if there is a name) the wax string they used to wrap around the wires that was usually accompanied with wire wrapping. I have seen it in many organs and I remember hearing the army used it in older electronics. Anyway to my memory it seemed the best form of strain relief I have ever encountered and it made the wires and circuit boards rigid. I have tried dental floss and it does not work so well. If there are other alternatives that are just as effective as the old wax string I would be inclined to hear about it. I have found many different types of wax string on ebay but I don't want to spend any money unless I can guarantee it will be highly effective.

This is a good example in this photo. Red string wrapped around the wires. I have also seen it wrapped in a criss-cross pattern that seems more rigid then wrapping the wires in nodes.

Thanks, Justin
It's called "lacing cord" and it's basically either a woven Nylon or Dacron tube flattened into a ribbon and filled with a wax to keep the knots on single ties from loosening. Different widths are available from the usual suspects in order to fulfill the requirements of the job at hand.

My favorite tie is a single clove hitch finished with a square knot on the far side of the cable, kinda like these: Deice System Tester.jpg Emergency Battery Tester.jpg

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I used to lace all my harnesses, but decided to try spiral looming for a project. Sub-branches are difficult with this and where there is an oversized connection, it is difficult to make a neat bundle. I prefer lacing and feel it produces neater harnesses over zip ties.