Wire Connector/Snap/Plug?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Edymnion, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Edymnion

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Okay, I've never done anything with what I'm about to ask about, and google hasn't been of much help since I don't know what to call some of the parts.

My project involves putting a voice chip in a mask so it will talk. Thats all well and done, works like a charm. Problem is that the play button is integrated into the circuit board itself, so I spliced extra wire into the speaker lines so I could drop the chip down to my belt where I could press the button without being obvious about it.

Problem is, I now have a couple feet of speaker wire hanging out of the mask. Ideally what I would want is some kind of plug where I could snap the speaker line onto the chip line while wearing it, and then unsnap it whenever I take the mask off so that I can set it aside without being tethered to it.

I know that surely, in the history of electronics, other people than me have wanted to do this, so surely it must exist. I rifled through the connectors box at Radio Shack and realized "None of these connectors are immediately obvious how they are intended to be used, and none of them really look like what I want".

So, I'm turning to you guys for help. :D

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I think a headphone cord would work. You can get earphones really cheap or free. Cut the cord and get a standard jack from the Shack. If you want a plug on BOTH ends, get an aux cable used for plugging an iPod into a car stereo. If you're not in a hurry, you can get one for a few cents online. But the Shack will be happy to sell you one for a few $.

3. Edymnion

Feb 16, 2012
    Okay, got a 1/8th jack and plug, three wire.

I'm presuming that I want to tip to be hot, the sleeve to be cold, and the middle ring stays unused?

4. Edymnion

Feb 16, 2012
    Nope, finally found the right diagram. Tip is hot, ring is cold, and sleeve is ground (won't have a ground on this one, nothing to ground it to as its wearable battery powered).

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It won't really matter for your purposes which wire is which, as long as you are consistent at both ends. Of course it's conventional to send ground through the sleeve and "hot" to the tip. "Ground" is a common misnomer. In this context it means battery "-".

I always use a meter to double-check that I got the conductors right end to end. Murphy's law makes it so easy to foul up. ;)

Oh hey, one more thing. You may want to mark your system somehow to discourage accidentally plugging it into an iPod. Somebody may think they're tapping into your tunes and get an earful of battery instead. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012