Wire connection

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ahmed123, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ahmed123

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    I have two electric meters at my house which supply electricity. If i connect the wire of appliance with different meters, main wire with first meter and neutral wire with other meter, will the current flow? And will the meter measure the reading??
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    You do not specify it, but know that in AAC we do not allow discussions over circuitry that doesn't use an isolation transformer while running on mains.

This is a simple warning.
  3. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Geo: Isn't an electric meter an iso-trans of sorts ? Don't they only measure one leg of a residential AC service ?? I have doubts about ability to measure the neutral.............
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    crossing two circuits is never a good idea. You will not fool the meter, it still records your current usage to neutral and you create a fire hazard because you could overload the neutral rail on the second supply line. This is especially dangerous because fuses (curcuit breakers) are only on the HOT wire as it leaves the fusebox. The total current on the neutral wire could exceed safe ratings - assuming you have other appliances or lights taped into that neutral wire somewhere along its length.

Also, NEUTRAL is a relative term. Two Neutral wires may not have the same voltage between them (To GROUND reference). it all depends on how well the ground wire is conducting to earth near each electrical meter and the load on each meter.

In other words, there is no benefit and safety risks. DON'T DO IT.
    PackratKing likes this.