Windscreen motor project

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Is there a better way to activate the motor initially? Different switch as opposed to push button?
Any switch or relay that has a connection that is "normally closed", and another connection that closes momentarily when pressed.

A 10 or 20 amp lever switch maybe.
Or a relay activated by any kind of switch.

I'll offer a description of connections to test motor without a switch:

Connect motor housing to battery negative.

Find the wires that when connected to positive will run motor.
They are the wires marked "motor leads" in diagram.

The other two wires are the park leads.
They are not interchangeable.
Find the one that is connected (internally) to motor frame.
Connect other one to battery positive as per diagram.

To test motor:

Momentarily connect one of the motor leads to positive.
As soon as motor starts turning swap the motor lead to the unconnected park lead.
This lead is only positive while park switch is in the "run" position. Motor will stop in "park" position.

If motor does not continue running (or fails to stop) when connected to park switch, then switch may have been damaged by connecting battery to the wrong park lead. (should be testing with a fuse in line a fuse)

philjt

Joined May 21, 2014
Thanks for the help again, I followed your in diagram to the T last night and couldnt get it to work. I was able to get the motor to park but wasnt able to get it to move again unless I disconnected one of the leads connected to the park.

As it stands I did the following:

Positive to the common terminal of SDPT switch
Lead from CommonON terminal of SPDT switch to slow speed terminal of motor
Lead from NotCommon SPDT terminal to the other park terminal of the motor
A lead from the positive terminal of battery to one of the park terminals on the motor
Negative battery to chassis of motor

I was able to get this setup to allow the motor to perform a full rotation by pressing switch momentarily. This I can only assume activated the internal switch rerouting the flow of current. Once a full rotation was completed the motor would park as expected. The problem was when I pressed the switch again nothing happened.

Any ideas?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Thanks for the help again, I followed your in diagram to the T last night and couldnt get it to work. I was able to get the motor to park but wasnt able to get it to move again unless I disconnected one of the leads connected to the park.

As it stands I did the following:

Positive to the common terminal of SDPT switch- Not correct, common goes to motor!
Lead from CommonON terminal of SPDT switch to slow speed terminal of motore- N.O. to positive
Lead from NotCommon SPDT terminal to the other park terminal of the motor- N.C. to park
A lead from the positive terminal of battery to one of the park terminals on the motor- Yes
Negative battery to chassis of motor- Yes

I was able to get this setup to allow the motor to perform a full rotation by pressing switch momentarily. This I can only assume activated the internal switch rerouting the flow of current. Once a full rotation was completed the motor would park as expected. The problem was when I pressed the switch again nothing happened.

Any ideas?
Common connected to battery makes a short circuit. Blows fuse, shuts down power supply, or melts internal switch.

Last edited: