windows xp help

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by koenton, Feb 17, 2013.

1. koenton

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Was useing my computer and shut it down, the next time I turned it on it came up with black screen and said keys are no longer good. Can I get more keys or what can I do?

Thanks for any help

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Your computer died.
    Any beeps on power on?
    Any lights on the keyboard? Is the fan running?
    Looks like your power suppy gave up the ghost.

Check your power, power bar, power switch, fuse etc.

3. koenton

Jan 9, 2011
    Yes I can use the computer but has a black screen that I can see through, but it is rolling at bottom of screen need new keys for this computer, Just can use part of progarms.

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    sorry, nothing you say makes sense.

use the computer?

black screen?

see through?

rolling at bottom of screen?

need new keys?

use part of programs?

Can you speak English?

5. koenton

Jan 9, 2011
    When it comes up the computer paybe not complety black but it is maybe gray screen where I can see to use it, but it is rolling writing at bottom of screen that says you may be counterfitting, then says need new keys for windows xp.

6. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Is it a genuine copy of Windows XP?

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Then your copy of windows was installed. They/you used a non genuine serial number/CD-key. The default setting is that XP now and then contacts Microsoft to look for updates in background. But you can also do this manually or turn it of. Anyway then doing this a non non genuine XP will be disclosed. Windows call this "Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)"

8. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    Never had Microsoft shut down an XP computer, is this the result or did the guy pick up a virus?

9. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Nope it is something Microsoft did with non legal XP installations:rolleyes:
    Get a legal XP copy and you will not see this.

10. Floyd

Feb 16, 2013
    Koenton, My computer was doing basically the same thing as yours appears to be doing. I received the following information and it helped me out. Just follow the steps.
    On the Run line command type:
    1. temp (hit OK, then select all they try to delete everyting, then close the folder)
    2. %temp% (hit OK, then select all then try to delete everything. then close the folder)
    3. prefetch (hit OK, then select all then try to delete everything, then close the folder)
    4. cleanmgr (CHECK the boxes that contain NUMBERS and uncheck the box that has no number then click OK, then click YES

To clean internet browser:
    type on the RUN line command
    inetcpl.cpl (Check the DELETE BOX THEN CLICK DELETE)

The above procedure helped cleanup my computer. Hope it helps you out.

koenton likes this.
  11. koenton

Jan 9, 2011
    This was my daughters computer, she got a new one and gave me this one. Have just started useing it, it worked ok for a while then the next time I turned it on the screen was gray and at bottom of screen says windows did not pass genuine windows valadation. Is their anything I can do to get it valadated again or get some good keys?
    Thanks

12. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    Look the case over, should be a Microsoft sticker on it with info on the origional OS with a serial number. If the sticker says XP you should be able to call MS with the serial number and get a good key.

If it doesn't have a sticker you are screwed and will need to buy a legal copy of XP. Might check eBay but be carefull to make sure what you are buying is ligitmate..