Windows 98

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Johnny Enslin, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Johnny Enslin

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I am refurbishing a (very) old pc, and am currently running W'98 on it. I need a Office or equivalent package to install on it, and I am at a loss on where to find one. Can anybody help? (Please do not tell me to come and pick up the stiffy at your home/workplace, except if you are in the Vaal Triangle area of South Africa

2. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Have you considered Libre Office?

Also, Win 98 is a bit long in the tooth, and hasn't been supported by Microsoft in a very long time. Consider it buggy, insecure, and not compatible with most hardware/software you might try to install today.

If it's an old box, a small-footprint Linux will help you get the most of the remaining life out of it. Consider Lubuntu or Puppy Linux. The nice thing about these is that, while modern and secure, they can still run many Win 9x apps under Wine, something that Win 7 and 8 have difficulty doing.

3. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    +1 for libre office and Linux in general

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

What is the PC made of?
    Is it 386,486 or pentium like?
    How much memory is installed?
    How big is the harddisk?

There are linux versions that will run on a 386 and higher.

Bertus

5. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    What you need is Office 97. I just looked, and there are quite a few copies available on eBay, some as cheap as US$10.

I know a guy who has carried the Excel and Word parts of Office 97 from one computer to another, from Windows 95 all the way to Windows 7. He says "They've always worked, why should I pay Bill Gates again?"

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Office97 or 2000 is good and doesn't need activation if you can get an old disk.

However it does not recognise later Office file types.
    But all is not lost since M/Soft offer free viewers for Word, Excel Powerpoint that you can download and instal from their site. You do not even need any version of Office to just read or print, but you cannot edit.

Google Word (excel etc) viewer and download from the Microsoft site, rather than another.

7. Johnny Enslin

Dec 29, 2012
    It is a HP Vectra, the processer is a AMD-K6tm, she's got 80Mb of ram(64 plus 36 extended), C drive = 1.22Gb and D drive = 2.99Gb
    I can find no info on the motherboard but the processor is a "2000 turbo" that was fitted afterwards.

8. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Why is the D drive twice the size of the C drive when you are short of space.

Do you have only one partitioned hard drive or two separate ones?

There are many things you can delete from W98 to gain much needed space.

For instance you can cut the fonts folder down to essential ones only.
    Foreign language stuff can go.
    Screen savers, desktop themes, unecessary sounds all take up space.
    Internet explorer should be set to clear all saved content on exit, internet temp files can build up in no time.

I have a Toshiba Equium pc that originally came with W98, but now runs an optimised W2000 and it goes faster than W7.

I use originally set it up for DVD and CD recording and it still does that job perfectly so why change?

The processor is an Intel PIII, roughly equivalent to your K6.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. Johnny Enslin

Dec 29, 2012
    The disk drive is partitioned, I got this machine asis, and has not bothered to change anything. All I want to do is install Office (97 or 2000) on it, the software for it to read/write a memory stick, and use it in my garage whenever I need it.

10. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Speak of the devil...

Here's an article from yesterday comparing/contrasting Libre Office and MS Office.

11. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I would vote for Libre office, even though I prefer M/S Office. I have a few Win98SE machines left in my house, where I use an old copy of Office 97.

Thing is, Libre is fully compatible with all modern file types, and does a good job converting new file formats into old ones.

Johnny Enslin likes this.
  13. Johnny Enslin

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for all the ideas, I just got news from my son (not the one that drools on his best shirt, the clever one! :)) that he downloaded Office '97 from some obscure site, so - hopefully - I should be up and running within a day or two.

14. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Thus you have admitted conspiring to pirate copyrighted software. Careful, the BSA is watching.

Oh, and the code has probably been hacked to install keyloggers and malware.