windows 8 blank screen

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by electronis whiz, Jun 26, 2013.

1. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I just put windows 8 beta on an older system I have. P4 2.4 GHZ CPU, 512MB ram, 20GB HDD. they say min for 8 is 1GHZ, 1GB, about 12GB HDD. install worked ok. made account rebooted now I just get black screen. anybody had this happen or know anything about it. MS makes sound like if happens reboot then will change boot mode and work, but nothing after many reboot. they say install some update, but can't do that if not loading all the way. and I don't think 8 has a safe mode.

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Sounds like a good candidate for running Linux on. Windows is going to crawl with only 512MB RAM.
    What would you be using it for?

3. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    I wanted to 1. try out win 8 myself some. I also have a 3TB external I attempted to partition, but after I shrunk the original partition I couldn't do anything because drive is 4k native sector. according to ms site only win8, server 2012 support this. no status if will ever be with win7. have a virtual machine of 2012, but for some reason I believe because the virtual box program it will have nothing to do with the drive. I was hoping to at least extend partition back to whole disk. I can always make folders to store things in. I'm thinking about doing a dual boot wit server 2012 on my desktop, but still have to do a bit more research. and clean up my desktop hard drive to make 2nd partition. then use external for hyper-v disk storage if that isn't possible then i'll probably take the external apart and clone my 7 to it. but not sure how 7 would handle a drive like that as OS since can basically only use for storage.

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Mark's right. I have found that most Windows operating systems require at least 1GB of RAM to run, and even then that won't really let you do anything. Windows 8 uses a lot of ram, so 512MB isn't going to be anywhere near enough in most cases.

Windows 8 does have a safe mode, which is combined with recovery. In some cases you can enter it by holding down the shift key and spamming F8 during startup. This is different from older versions of windows, where you only had to spam F8. I believe that once you're in the "recovery mode", you can change the settings to bring up the classic boot menu on startup (re-enable F8 to enter the ordinary "advanced boot options" screen). I'm not sure exactly how, you should be able to find it using a simple google search.

First thing I'd recommend, once you're in the recovery screen, do a system scan and repair any issues it finds. It's a first step, anyway. Once you can get back to the regular "advanced boot options" screen, you should be able to start it in safe mode with command prompt, and use tools like sfc /scannow, chkdsk, and a few others. This sfc will check the system files to make sure the configs aren't bad or missing. chkdsk will check your hard drive.

Another thing is that a 20GB hard drive will run an OS, but it won't allow you to save much on top of the system files. I recommend at least a 150GB hard drive if you plan on doing anything with it.

Good luck,
    Matt

5. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    it was just supposed to be a test system. and hopefully use to fix issue wit external drive had no intention of rally using for desktop or anything. I looked up the safe mode and was like why would they do that it's been just f8 since like windows 95. used that system I couldn't even get anything different to come up. I suspect ram, but would have thought install would have failed or caught in test. I have put XP on systems that are ancient didn't run the best, but ran. I know I've gone below min with xp in many ways. have ran with 32MB ram, like 200MHZ CPU. runs kind of poor, but worked. this would probably just be a temp setup so didn't really care how slow it was.

wish it wasn't a dell :eek: probably have more than just 2 ram slots. have 4 256 sticks that could use, but does no good on this system. one reason my next system will not be a dell (my 7 systems similar). good for average user but i'd rather have something a lot more "future proof".

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Windows XP is MUCH less demanding than windows 8. Saying "well, it worked with XP" is a horrible explanation. :D:p

The other problem that I just noticed (you didn't tell us before) is that your computer is a DELL. That has been the cause of so many of my computer problems that I've given up on the company entirely. Get an HP or a custom machine.

I wouldn't recommend running any operating system past XP (Vista, 7, or 8) on any less than 2 gigs. Period. Four 256GB sticks will most likely NOT be enough, unless you're running XP or older.

7. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    I had that thought, but I also figured there minimum ratings were what they want at minimum so users get a somewhat decent experience and aren't using their support all the time. I figured be some room may run junky, but for what I wanted figured be fine. just kind of surprised install even would work, but not boot after.

I figured dell would be no big deal just another brand computer. only thing I've heard relates to their hardware being somewhat low end and special power supplies.
    biggest reason I want away from them is their relatively limited compared to a custom or different brand system. current best system is a dell to, but quite certain would handle win 8 3GHZ X64 Pentium dual, 6GB ram like 230GB hard disk. just have to dual boot. some reason virtual box software will not work with the external drive so have to be on system itself it appears.

8. egobrainz

Mar 8, 2010
    its win8 beta,but i have same problem 2 days ago with win 8 rtm on old dell p4 1,8ghz laptop with 512 ram 60 gb hdd,revert to win xp then,
    too old fo win 8,and unavailable driver.
    DerStrom8 may right,i have many experience problem with dell when installing os, brand new laptop(2011)cant instal xp only vista and above,try bios differnt seting still not accept xp,always blank and restart,but vista running smoth.