Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by R!f@@, Dec 4, 2010.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Is it true that windows 7 is killing the batteries of some laptops.
    I have got two of these issues.

One was a mini one.....Owner installed win7 and the lap died. Works on AC only. No charging.

Second one is an HP DV9000. Which our only HP authorized repair center " Focus Computers" here in Maldives, said that the laptops LCD is broken. To me it was just a 5 minute hot gun issue.
    This lap came to me from that service center, well not from there, the owner took it there and next came to me.
    He installed win7 and the battery stopped charging.
    Bought a new one but still not charging.

I've read some where that it is an ACPI issue with win 7.
    Has anyone had an encounter like this?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    It's apparently better than Vista, but computers I've installed Vista on (admittedly very few) usually experienced slightly less battery life compared to XP, although it was probably within the margin of error - 10 minutes or so.

3. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    This happens on certain chip-set's it seems

4. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    Well, oddly enough, I have a Dell Laptop I had installed Windows 7 on. The batteries were not great,maybe 40 min of runtime, then 20min, Then The OS does not recognize the battery at all. I removed the pack, opened it and manually charged 2 batteries at a time with success and the full pack measured 16.xxV. I placed it back in the computer and it still does not recognize the presence of batteries.

i

5. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    Hah!!! :D

U got tricked into that too. kekekkekekeke....sorry..can't help it. my bad

Ur battery is fine...it's the win7 battery management thingy or what ever is doing this...
    I have re-installed Vista on the HP, and am trying to get the darn thing to charge the battery some how.

I have better luck than the HP techs

6. iONic

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 16, 2007
    So the fact that the Windows 7 battery indicator is saying that my battery is not present, means nothing. The battery probably still only will last only 30min, but at least I wont kill the CMOS clock battery. Odd thing is that is used to show correctly.

iONic

7. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    U need to roll back to XP. Update the bios. Put in a new battery..roll back bios to an old version. or sumthin...sumthin...

This is what I have planned for the HP....

8. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    My Dell laptop came with win7 and I've run on battery for a couple of hours.
    From what I read on these posts, the only time there's a problem is when win7 is installed on a laptop that had some other OS.
    Is there some sort of battery management routine that has to be turned on for a laptop? Can you see that it's charging the battery (power meter icon).

9. R!f@@

Apr 2, 2009
    That's the problem customers are facing....win7 acpi killing the battery software