Windows 10

What do you think of Windows 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I can fully understand someone running 7 not doing the update to 10 but 8 is a tablet OS that Microsoft force fed desktops. If I had any real computers running 8 I would jump on the 10 band wagon in a heart beat. I still run XP on my main computer, it was the last OS Microsoft released for us that need to do real work. I have 7 running on a couple others but completely bypassed 8. Installed 10 on a Windows 7 laptop just to see what it was about, after doing quite a bit of searching the web to see what I had to disable to keep Big Brother out of my life I really like 10.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Upgrade will kill me.
Internet charges will go thru the roof.
I am paying USD 14.00 for 2GB's each time
Wow, Internet bandwidth must be awfully expensive in the Maldives!:eek: At my house, we get 300GB of 25Mbps cable Internet each month for just $40.

Last edited:

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Not really, been testing my stuff on Windows 10 and most of the stuff I wrote 15 years ago on Windows 95 still works. The only real issues are when an old 32bit app needs to talk to a 64bit driver and using the 32bit version of 10 will mostly solve that issue. Is there a 64bit version of Lunix, actually doesn't really matter one way or the other. The world is on Windows, Uunix and Apple lost the battle years ago.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Not really, been testing my stuff on Windows 10 and most of the stuff I wrote 15 years ago on Windows 95 still works. The only real issues are when an old 32bit app needs to talk to a 64bit driver and using the 32bit version of 10 will mostly solve that issue. Is there a 64bit version of Lunix, actually doesn't really matter one way or the other. The world is on Windows, Uunix and Apple lost the battle years ago.
Actually, the world of *desktops* is Windows. Everything else is pretty much Linux.

Linux has won quietly. So much so, that you don't even realize it.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Only on cell phones but they changed the name to a little green thing and a apple.

Now if you took Walmart out of the picture Linux may come out on top just kidding but there is a lot of windows apps that big business use.

"Linux has won quietly. So much so, that you don't even realize it."
I think that should be
Linux is winning quietly. So much so, because people have figured out how to sale it quietly to you.
Before anyone cry's people just don't want to do things for free and people don't want free it's got to have something wrong with it. So you run it on a cell phone call it apple or android don't say it's based on work from Linux..

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
First off we are discussing Desktops, this thread is about upgrading Windows desktops to Windows 10 and has nothing to do with web servers, tablets or embedded systems.

Installed market share numbers from this source.
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Windows 94.93 % All versions
Linux 1.68 %
Other 3.4 % Probably MAC

What I really do not understand is why Linux and MAC users feel the need to post in a Windows thread at all, seems like no matter the forum anytime a Windows discussion comes up someone has to jump in and claim they are superior because they are running Linux or are on a MAC. You are not going to convince the average Joe running Windows to switch to what you believe to be a better choice. It may be for you but Joe desktop user is not a teckie and is perfectly content running Windows.

As a software developer I'm going after that 94% market, makes no sense not to..

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Back to the subject, the more I play and discover the ins and outs of 10 the more I like it. Windows 7 drivers seem to work just fine and so far I haven't found anything important to me that wont run on 10.

Had a little issue with a driver on my Asus K52F laptop but all it needed was nstalling the correct driver. Device Manager showed a hardware device not working. It was labeled Base System Device with Vendor ID VEN_197B&DEV_2383&SUBSYS_1A071043&REV_80\4&6a4a70b&0&03E5.
A little research told me it was the JMicron card reader. A quick trip to the Asus web site to download the Windows 7 driver and it's fixed.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I keep getting offers on my HP Win7 L.T. to upgrade free to 10 I am a little on the fence on it, what I may do is record a clone of my HD and if 10 doesn't work out, reload the 7!
Max.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Well windows 10 is very good I think. I runs great because it only runs the apps you want to run there's not stuff starting like older windows did 7 and down. What i don't like is they put a supper fast web drowsier on it that after your money.
I want to just look at the web read what I want to read and get stuff from where I want buy without my OS popping and asking me If I want this. Next it's slow at booting on my laptop that has 2 core amd @2.20gH and 4 gig of ram. But after it get's up and running it's way better then windows 7 was I've had no problems using anything on it but I only use it for Qt and running pic prgramming ides and software oh and the read the emails and read forums. But all said it's way better at running software and smarter at setting of stuff like com ports over USB wifi runs better. A little learning to figure out how to do things but thats always the case.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
From what I have heard it's very easy to revert back. They say the upgrade does the backup for you and going back is just a click or two.

Edit: Ya, I'm working through getting rid of everything Microsoft thinks I need and sales hints for stuff I don't want.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I keep getting offers on my HP Win7 L.T. to upgrade free to 10 I am a little on the fence on it, what I may do is record a clone of my HD and if 10 doesn't work out, reload the 7!
Max.
You can change back easy as pie windows 10 is done like a up date you just undo the update. What I'm hearing is that a clean install is best but I have so much software and noway to reinstall some of it I have not tried a full clean install

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Does it come with a lot of bloatware.

1.(n) Software that comes pre-installed on a computer. Bloatware generally comes on a PC made by a major manufacturer (i.e. HP, Dell, Toshiba). Most Bloatware is considered to be a useless piece of software that is intended for no other purpose than taking up hard drive space.

2.(n) Software that comes piggy-backed on other software installations. piggy-backing bloatware usually includes toolbars, desktop widgets or external unrelated applications. Most piggy-backing bloatware can perform a mundane task that is generally non-essential to every day computer use.
1. My brand new laptop came with so much bloatware, it took me over two hours to remove it all.

2. My anti-virus installation came with so much bloatware, I can't even see the desktop.

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bloatware

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
It has some I wouldn't call bloatware its more like how your phone looks at your web use and gives you ideas. But that stops if you use say chrome but edge is so much faster have to look at how to turn off that from it. They gave you option to use Google I hate bing. Lol