window comparator using a single op-amp

harry

Joined May 8, 2005
the usual design of a window comparator uses two op-amps...does anyone one have a circuit for a window comparator using a single op-amp...i badly need it for my research..tnx

pebe

Joined Oct 11, 2004
Originally posted by harry@May 8 2005, 06:32 AM
the usual design of a window comparator uses two op-amps...does anyone one have a circuit for a window comparator using a single op-amp...i badly need it for my research..tnx
[post=7534]Quoted post[/post]​
If there fixed limits to the window, it can usually be done using positive feedback to give hysteresis.

BTW, you needn't post on two forums - people usually look at both, anyway.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Here is a circuit that uses one opamp and a couple of diodes to implement a window comparator.

If you are comfortable with the math then you can run with it.

If you need help with setting the circuit up for your specific parameters then if you will supply me with

1. Your power supply voltage
2. Your two window voltage limits

I will take a stab at selecting the components to suit your application.

[attachmentid=631]

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You're better off using comparators than opamps. An LM393 (dual) or LM339 (quad) comparator can be wired as a window comparator. Opamps are not a good choice for window comparators as their outputs would be in constant saturation, causing heat and wasting power.

Have a look at Rob Paisley's comparator page:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Comparators.html
There's a window comparator about halfway down the page under "Voltage Window Detector Circuit"

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
"I'm new to this forum Can you explain how I locate the attachment." The attachment was posted in 2005. It is not to be found on that site anymore :) and I cannot format my text. This editor sucks.