Wind tunnels.

piratepaul

Joined May 20, 2013
The idea is to create wind tunnels for road traffic.

Suppose trees are planted at an angle to the motorways/highways at anngle to the road... which ever way the wind is blowing it is always bhind the traffic.

Something similar to an Anderson shelter ( like a shed with an arched roof, used in the war as a bomb shelter) with slots in the sides to allow wind in and channel it behind bicycles etc.

This is my idea but I suppose it has been thought of before, not much point in patenting.

hmmm

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I like it! It's a great idea in theory, but if you have slots at both sides of the road, all at the same angle, then a wind causes a diagonal cross flow.

And the diagonal flow will always have a beneficial effect on cars going one way, and harmful effect on cars going the opposite way.

What you need is a high wall between the two lanes, so the wind can help one lane but not hinder the cars in the opposite lane. And computer controlled adjustable "slots" on the sides of the road. :)

piratepaul

Joined May 20, 2013
Yea something allong those lines, a wall in centre, a yacht sails fastest in a cross wind...
Digi sensors to adjust wind speed good idea, filter co2 through trees etc.
Electric cars... ( ARE WE ALLOWED TO MENTION ELECTRIC cars) etc.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But what kind of tailwind would it be reasonable to achieve?

How much would this improve fuel efficiency?

How much energy would be needed to operate the system?

How much would the cost to build and maintain the system be in comparison with what it saves? Remember, the design, construction, and maintainence all consume energy as well, which has to be subtracted from whatever energy is saved.

Given how neglected major infrastructure is throughout the world, why is there any reason to believe that this wouldn't be neglected in the same manner?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Planting trees at regular intervals alongside a road is a bad idea as it lead to a marked increase in acidents.

The French used to have several major roads crossing rural central France with trees palnted like this.

Whenever the sun was at the wrong angle, transiting the trees lead to a strobe effect, upsetting drivers and causing many accidents.