wind measuring device that can be remote controlled

Rob_j_ie

Joined Oct 7, 2010
hi all,
my first post as im new to the site,im in my 3rd year of college studying electronics,i have beed tasked with a project.i must build a device that measures the speed of wind and transmits this information to a handheld device which outputs it to a display in either knots,kilometers and miles with respect to time.i must use either infared or radio for the transmit/recieve.

i have researched afew anemometers and so far i think the cup anemometer is best for my application.i have an intitial block diagram (see attached)(also i dont know whether i need to use a microcontoller before i transmit)i know i will need a microcontoler and an lcd display at the receive end so i will probably be using the 8051 and using c-code to program it.
Any suggestions,tips would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'd go for a microcontroller at both ends. The code for the transmitter will be simple, and easier to modify if you want to add a thermometer, etc.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. My bias is always to very simple and cheap, so my approach would be to:
1) Measure rpm using an IR slot or a magnetic pickup (hall effect sensor, or even a reed switch).
2) If needed, divide the signal by the appropriate factor using a counter IC. For instance, dividing by 2, 4, 8 or multiples of these, is quite easy.
3) Transmit - somehow, IR if you can, because it's simple - the modified signal.
4) Feed the output into a cheap bicycling computer. These can be adjusted for a wide range of wheel size, so you should be able to calibrate it to read accurately for your anemometer.
Now, if this assignment requires you to build your own display, then my cycling computer idea is "cheating".

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Here is another small suggestion. As IR needs lin of sight and close range maybe ask if you may use ultra sonics. Not as good as RF but can still go around objects to some extent.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here is another small suggestion. As IR needs lin of sight and close range maybe ask if you may use ultra sonics. Not as good as RF but can still go around objects to some extent.
Yes, if IR is used at all it'd be best to re-task or replicate an IR remote. That'd give you a modulated carrier for the signal, and would give you the same performance as ... a TV remote. Short distance, straight line, directional link.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I remember a guy around here ages ago that was "networking" two computers together over several thousand feet using nothing but IR xmtr/receiver pairs, some coffee cans and some lenses. Associated drivers to interface them to the ethernet connectors of course.