Wind generator from electrical bicycle wheel.

Davoinn

Joined Jul 10, 2016
Hello everyone. I got a 1500W 48V bicycle motor and want to make a wind generator from it to charge a battery bank and run some lights and maybe some small fans and heaters. Is the easy way to buy the charge controller and the voltage converter for 220V ? Or do you know of a good, not to complicated circuit for a charge controller?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Be aware that a motor that can operate at 1500 watts will not produce that much power when used as a generator. You need to determine if the motor can actually power your loads, otherwise you'll likely be disappointed with your project.

One big problem with wind is that the available power goes up with the cube of wind speed. You go from half-capacity to destroyed with a small speed increase. There are all sorts of tricks to deal with that.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have never built a windmill. But the first thing I would want to know is, how fast the shaft must turn to get 1500 watts. And how fast and long a propeller can turn in your area. And if it will require gears or pulleys.

Edit: pardon me, wayneh, didn't see your post.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello everyone. I got a 1500W 48V bicycle motor and want to make a wind generator from it to charge a battery bank and run some lights and maybe some small fans and heaters. Is the easy way to buy the charge controller and the voltage converter for 220V ? Or do you know of a good, not to complicated circuit for a charge controller?
I would think a motor-generator setup would be least complicated. Good luck with this. Keep[ us posted on progress. It sounds like a military surplus store visit is called for.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A reference link to the hub motor you want to use and to your typical local wind speed would be of great help for us to do calculations.