Wind Generator and Grid Tie Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyeomans

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Greeting All

I am investigating the idea of a Fisher and Paykel wind generator which needs a regulation and grid tie circuit. I have laid out a schematic below and would appreciate some experienced comments on this.

Please no comments of grid tie legality.

The 3 phase AC is converted to DC

The DC is chopped and put through a step up transformer. The chopper also regulates the voltage from the output to maintain a constant voltage?

The transformer output is rectified back to DC

The DC is then converted to mains synchronized AC and injected into the grid. This is not my idea I saw it on http://www.neo-aerodynamic.com/GridTieInverter.html

I would probably use FETs where possible.
run the PWM at a high freq to keep transformer smaller

I am assuming the a slightly higher voltage than mains potential will inject the current. Any ideas of what voltage?

Cheers

Al

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Have you read the initial statement on that site?
Patent pending.
But your are free to copy and build on your own risk for individual usage and noncommercial purpose.

Not to be connected to the national grid without proper authorization.

As by products of our research we have come up with a logic to build grid tie inverters. They are very inexpensive and for the benefit of the PEOPLE AT LARGE we post here. We do not present as how to make but the process how we build them and for informative purpose only.

Super Warning: Dealing with live AC grid may cause bodily harm or death; therefore any attempt should be only done by well trained and professional.
Do you have any experience in electricity or electronics? Can you obtain that authorization to connect a homemade device to the power grid?

Closer reading of one paragraph shows this outfit does not stand behind this inverter in any way.
As by products of our research we have come up with a logic to build grid tie inverters. They are very inexpensive and for the benefit of the PEOPLE AT LARGE we post here. We do not present as how to make but the process how we build them and for informative purpose only.
The thing looks like a good way to get killed.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The thing looks like a good way to get killed.
Or arrested. The designer admits it's not approved, and I saw no evidence of testing. The chief attraction is that it's a cheap "solution". Maybe it's clever in that regard but it is NOT intended for doing a real grid tie-in.

I'd direct questions to the designer, but in the long run I think you'd be better off buying a real and approved solution.

alyeomans

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Thanks for your response guys.

beenthere: Yes I have read the site from top to bottom plus others too. yes I have experience and training in electrical and electronics. I would like to build and test this "eventually" after careful consideration and health and safety at the fore front of my mind - I was initially thinking of a low voltage (safe level) build for testing. The design does have merit which is why I am interested in it. I do not want to die and do have a suitable respect to AC mains.

weyneh: I appreciate that, the design is not approved which is okay too, but not why I posted this. I do not want to say 'much' on your comment about buying this - I am sure more than half the projects here could be purchased in some form but that is not the point.

Guys, I am looking at this as a project and I do know AC can kill and I know that I should not connect it too the grid. I would like some technical feedback on the circuit. You are both senior board members surely you have comments on its operation. Please lets look at this project and remember it's 'all about circuits'.

--------------------------------------------

I have seen some posts saying to grid tie with constant current but my assumption is a higher voltage than mains is required to push the current. This means a constant voltage?

The triacs will operate with an on/off characteristic (squarish wave) which is not conducive to the desired sine wave output. I imagine a power fet would be better than a triac?

Status
Not open for further replies.