Winch power project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Bruce53, May 14, 2009.

1. Bruce53

Thread Starter Member

May 14, 2009
    I am using an electrical automobile winch to haul a boat up a steep grade. The jeep is too far away to provide a convenient DC power source. I will be using an AC washing-machine motor on house 110 power to drive an old 12 V alternator with a 12 V battery, all unrelated to the jeep. Problem: really thought I knew more about this than I do and I need some advice. First (probably of many) question: where do I get the power for the field? If from the battery, how do I go about regulating it? I need to keep the alternator volts in the 12 - 14 volt range. The load will change a bit, slowing the washing machine motor initally, I suspect. Can I count on the battery as a sump to limit the amps to about 40? I can't find out anything from Delco R about the internal regulator if indeed there is one -- very old alternator that checks out fine. Enough questions for this one. Any help will be most appreciated....
    Great site...

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Why not just use a deep cycle battery and 110V charger to run your winch. How many times a day do you have to move the boat?

With the alternator/battery, you will need mechanical linkage and regulation, as you mention. I would just copy an automobile circuit.

Finally, Harbor Freight has a 1500# 110V AC winch for $115 (list). Part number 96127-3VGA.

John

3. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    I believe a Delco alternater contains the regulator within itself (as opposed to Ford that seperates the two.)

4. Bruce53

Thread Starter Member

May 14, 2009
    Many thanks, John. Sure have gotten me thinking.....

5. Bruce53

Thread Starter Member

May 14, 2009
    Hope you are right. But this is an old alternator -- not even sure when I got it. Can't imagine why DR hasn't answered my two emails about it.....
    Thanks Paul

6. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    If the alternator is old enough, then it does not even have diodes, just 3 phase AC.

7. Bruce53

Thread Starter Member

May 14, 2009

Wish I knew its age. The output is definitely DC. Can I assume that, if it has two terminals for the field coil, it does not have an internal regulator? Thanks for comment....

8. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Measure field coil terminals, as I remember, should be around 3Ω.

9. Bruce53

Thread Starter Member

May 14, 2009
    Thanks Bernard....