Win 7 is a complete mess need help.

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by redrooster01, Apr 1, 2015.

1. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    I have a USB microscope that stopped working a while ago, the drivers are up to date but there is no way to activate it? So 2 days ago I downloaded a program called Yawcam and ran it,I was prompted to install Java 8 update during the install, then I was prompted to choose a program to open it with so I chose windows media player but that was the wrong one,(I know that now) I should have chosen Java apparently? Now just about every program wants to open with WMP? I cant install anything anymore or go to a backup,I tried to do a system restore but I cant do that either? Ive tried to reset the program association as well. The only way Ive found to use Firefox browser is to go to start/documents/delete the word documents in the top bar and type ebay,it then goes to a firefox ebay page, then I can access my bookmarks and address bar? Is there some way that I can change from opening things with WMP or some way to run Java because its not on the computer anymore,I thought I had only deleted the Java update? I cant access Skype and my email either? I thought that if anyone knows about these things it would be you blokes here.

2. DumboFixer

Feb 10, 2009
    Sounds like you've overwritten the file association for Java files. Try right clicking on a Java file and select Properties. The dialog box should show what program is used to open it - it'll probably say Media Player (or similar). Press the change button and select the appropriate application.

3. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    There are no installed version of Java,I looked in downloads and right clicked a Java file/properties but I cant change it from being a windows media player file?

4. DumboFixer

Feb 10, 2009
    ok, plan B then. If you have no installed version of Java then you need to get one so go visit www.java.com

Try clicking on the "Do I have Java" link to see if you really have uninstalled Java.

Click on the "Free Java Download" button and follow the instructions.

Another way to check your file associations is to open your Start Menu and select "Default Programs" then select "associate a file type or protocol with a specific program". This will come up with a list (eventually) of the file types and the application associated with them. Scroll down to .jar , it should be associated with the Java binary.

5. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    you have "a USB microscope"...? is it noname?

6. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Ive tried all that but it doesn't work,WMP blocks me from fixing it? Im pretty sure the Yawcam download was malware because everything I do to fix this is blocked.

7. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Yes its no name? But that's the least of my worries now!

8. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    cmartinez and redrooster01 like this.
  9. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    do a system restore to prior the install

10. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Thanks mate that did the trick I downloaded the registry zips and it was all go,theirs just one tiny thing its the desktop icons are still showing the windows media player icons ,Ive clicked refresh and tried a few other things but they are still there but that the least of my worry's now.Thanks again mate,I appreciate it.

11. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    For your shortcuts, it's possible to change the desktop icon. This won't work for all icons, but will help with many.

Right-click on the shortcut icon. The following window will appear.

Capture.PNG

Copy the value in the target field and click on change icon. (Note that some shortcuts will have these greyed out or not even present :( )
    Then, in the window that appears when you click change icon, we'll set the icon to display.

Capture2.png

Highlight the existing file name, and paste the target file name into the field. Click browse.
    In the lower pane, you should see several icons. Click on the one you want and OK on out.

Its a tedious job, but you'll get most of your icons back.

12. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Here's another method which might be quicker, from the Internet.

Solution 2: Force a refresh of the icon cache.
    1. Choose Start > Default Programs.

2. Select Set Your Default Programs.

3. Select a web browser, email client, or any other item in the list.

4. Click Set This Program As Default.

5. Click OK.
    6. If the issue persists, then restart the computer and check again.
    Solution 3: Purge and rebuild the IconCache.db file.
    Method 1: Delete the IconCache.db file.
    1. Make sure that you can see hidden files and folders: Windows 7.
    2. Browse to the C:\Users\<Owner>\AppData\Local folder and delete the IconCache.db file.
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. If issue persists, repeat Solution 2.

13. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    I ended up getting the desktop icons back to normal by deleting a K-lite codec pack.I tried that just before I tried your solution djfantasi. I still have Firefox and Shock flash player crashing on YouTube,Ive uninstalled and re-installed the latest updates a few times ,Ive disabled all add-ons that aren't really essential but its not making any difference? Ive run several anti-virus programs today but they haven't picked up anything which I think is strange? I went to control panel, troubleshooting and this is the message I got from system restore I think it was? ""When attempting to save your settings the following system error occurred: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with"" So Ive still got a sneaky virus in their somewhere I think?

14. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    What antivirus tools have you used? I like:
    • Ccleaner
    • SuperAntiSpyware
    • Malwarebytes

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  15. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Oh , and boot into safe mode when scanning. If it is really stubborn, you might need a tool that runs on it's own boot CD (can't think of one right now).

16. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Ive used Microsoft essentials antivirus, Malware bytes, Hijackthis and Kaperskys bootable repair disk Version 10. Highjackthis just brought up all my programs as far as I could work out and I was to delete any of them at my own risk? Kaperskys ISO image didn't show anything that I could understand? Ill try to upload the Highjackthis report. Nope I cant do it because it not there when I go to upload it? Its there otherwise? A few hours ago I got an email from Skype saying that they've detected unauthorized activity on my account,they've returned the money in my account and suspended it? Thats a worry because the banks are closed for Easter and I cant close my Netbank down. Anyway Ill boot the Kapersky repair disk in safe mode if I can figure it out and upload a report with the results. P.S I found that Internet Explorer doesn't crash on Youtube like Firefox and Flashplayer does.

17. redrooster01

Thread Starter Member

Jul 15, 2014
    The Kapersky repair disk booted and loaded but it cant connect to the internet to get updates? Ive registered on Kaperskys support forum to troubleshoot this problem and found other people have the same problem on this version 10? It seems to be one problem after another.LOL