Will we see a real self driving car in our life time?

Discussion in 'General Science' started by spinnaker, Jan 31, 2015.

1. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...ing_cars_will_exacerbate_organ_shortages.html

2. ClassOfZero

Dec 28, 2016
    Don't worry, us motorcyclists will never submit to anything that takes human input away from us, so be assured the squids will be a source of organs.
    It took all of 10 minutes for one the first bikes that came with ABS to be confused by a rider on dirt.

3. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I was a street bike rider for a long time in my youth I think that giving ABS to a beginner with little experience in manual front/rear brake control is a mixed blessing as they will tend to treat brakes as a off/on switch that will fail just when they need the experiences of handling brake lockup the most. That said I don't ride anymore, far too many idiot cage drivers on the road for my taste and most of my old organs are just not up to max efficiency these days.

4. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
  5. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    I actually talked to some guests at a party last week about this very point. Aside from the lawsuits (topic of the night as those were mostly lawyers and investors), the ethics question would be the most interesting to tackle.

I think in the end, there is a large or even vital role for the governments to play, both on the legal / insurance and ethics fronts, for self-driving cars to materialize.

6. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Why not make a table for the angle and rate of angle, for the 3 axis, in which the car is considered out of control or un-correctable.....and if that is a true condition........do what happens in human accidents.....let nature take it's course.

That is ....no control action and let inertia take it's course. No fault insurance.

Of course some lawyer will say that the software should have never let the car get in that condition in the first place.

7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Just add the Securefoam system.

8. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    the fundamental issue here is that:

1) by driving the cars via software, the auto OEMs are drivers;
    2) those "OEM drivers" have deep pockets, making them a natural target for litigation.

the cost to sue anyone, especially if you are a lawyer, is minimum, yet the potential payoff can be huge.

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    As stated above, the decision tree of who to sacrifice in each situation will be solved through legislation. Auto companies will eventually be protected by law just like firearm manufacturers are currently protected from lawsuit.