Will two side b side Ultrasonic sensors affects each other's receiving signal

Ahmed Adel Hosni

Joined Aug 16, 2010
I want to use two ultrasonic sensors side by side. the distance may be 12 cm for example. the sensors will measure the distance between it and an object.

If the first sensor transmits a wave so that the first receiver can detect it, will the second receiver also detects it ?? or can i adjust them to different frequencies or any other technique to avoid that problem ?

Thanks

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
If both have the same frequency it's very likely that both receivers will give you an output signal. Two transmitters with different frequencies and receivers with band-pass filters to pass only the corresponding frequency will probably work.
Did you think about what components you want to use, what are available to you?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I did a similar project once and even with a viewing angle of 90degrees there was jitter from the echo in the room. I 'd leave a window of at least 50ms between measurements.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Since those sensors are packaged together in a single board, it is almost certain that the necessary compensation has been made. Make sure you read its manual before you use it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The Ping))) sensor uses a single pin to first enable a measurement, then the Ping))) drives that same pin with a pulse who's width is proportional to the distance of the target.

If you drive two sensors off the same controller, one will be busy while the other one is idle, so they will typically not cross-drive each other. At worst, you may need some dead time delay between switching sensors.

Ahmed Adel Hosni

Joined Aug 16, 2010
The Ping))) sensor uses a single pin to first enable a measurement, then the Ping))) drives that same pin with a pulse who's width is proportional to the distance of the target.

If you drive two sensors off the same controller, one will be busy while the other one is idle, so they will typically not cross-drive each other. At worst, you may need some dead time delay between switching sensors.
right. i thought of generating the pulse of the first sensor and then generate the second pulse after a small delay so they don't conflict.

I hope this solves the problem.

Thanks Erniem & Georacer for your efforts