Will this work?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Just add resistors...no need for the motor. Measure the amount of resistance while holding the motor, and use the same value of resistors. The motor is meant to spin to cool itself. You may catch it on fire if you leave it like that.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Well, it will only be on for as long as the blinkers blink. Which wouldn't be too long. I let it go for about 30 seconds straight and felt the motor. It still felt cold =/

I would get the right resistors but...I don't even know how to measuer the resistance of the motor.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Well.wait...Wouldn't I just hook up my multimeter and turn it to ohms. I've never used it. But seems like that would work. See the resistance and get a resistor with the ohms.

Do I just give the motor power, hold the motor and with the multimeter still on there measure resistance or something? How would I do that?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You set you meter to amps. With the circuit running measure the amps. Then hold the motor gears still and measure the amps again.
Use Ohm's law to find resistance:

Subtract the two numbers. (amps before and after) This will be the 'I' in ohms law
Now take that number and divide it by the voltage at the motor terminals This is the 'V' in ohms law

That will result in the resistance in ohms. This is the 'R' in ohms law

For instance:

first measuement A1=.025
2nd measurement A2= .377
A2-A1=I
I=.352 amps

Voltage = 13.5v (Voltage measured at the motor terminals)
V=13.5

So V/I=R

13.5 / .352 = 38.352

Round that value up to the next closest resistor. Which is 36ohms.

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Well, I already had the JB weld curing on the gear. So now I can't...but anyway it works well. Except the power draw also takes away from the headlight, so the headlight blinks. But it only dims.

The headlight always blinks even when the signal lights aren't firing. So I added a switch to it. Works when I need it, but I think I need to add a battery and use that for the LEDs to stop the headlight. That's my project tomorrow.

Thanks. You're a lot of help. Just curious, but where do you get all your information from?