Will the data reveal reality?

Discussion in 'General Science' started by Duane P Wetick, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Duane P Wetick

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Now here's a trial for all to consider. Back in the bad old days, un-scrupulous farmers would water down their cows' milk before sending it to market, thus getting more money per hundredweight. All the mothers in the country began to wail, "How can we tell we are getting whole milk for our children!" Now how to stop this insidious practice? Dr. Babcock undertook the task to devise a test which would test the butterfat content of all milk before putting it on the market.
    He invented the The Babcock Test, which worked nearly all the time...except for the milk from Bessie's heifer. What was wrong with her milk? Nothing, except that the test would not give the correct results. So Dr. Babcock kept working diligently to perfect his test...which of course, the whole country was clamoring for. "Oh, please Dr. Babcock, the mothers wailed, save our children from these un-scrupulous milkmen!" But Dr. Babcock would not be deterred and would not release his test...until the milk from Bessie's heifer passed the test. The Babcock test is used today to test the butterfat content of milk, and it is the law! Perseverance does pay off after all...the data will reveal reality!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    And your point would be...what exactly?

3. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    That data reveals reality and truth. They also treat raw milk with antibiotics for safety
    reasons. There toots are also washed with iodine. There is politics in milk,you can have
    100 cows,if you don't have state base you can't sell your milk to the market.There is
    just so much base it is bought and sold like stock. So that keeps the small guy out of
    the market,cruel world.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    And your reference for that is?

I thought that was what pasteurization did.

John

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    If you don't sell it,Its yours and never gets to that point.
    Do you understand base? Have you ever been up to knees in toots.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I have never milked a cow, but I have dealt with an outbreak of Campylobacter in northern Minnesota because some farmer didn't pasteurize his milk.

Simply put, antibiotics are not put into commercial milk in the USA. It is foolish for you to raise such alarms needlessly and incorrectly. As for what a farmer puts in the milk he drinks, he can put bull manure in it for all I care.

John

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    What alarms are you speaking of I was making statement about how milk go to market. No harm to any one that know there market procedure.I am sure any dairy farmer is smarter about milk than I am. Think about your statement,A
    dairy farmer does not pasteurize his milk that is done after the milk is trucked to a processing plant,Indepentant
    dairy farmer could never afford that type equipment.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Back on subject, what amazes me is that people pay a premium for low-fat milk and farmers get paid a premium for high-fat milk. So, buy non-homogenized milk, if you can, and have the best of both.

John

9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    The farm bill,Texas meets every four years for farm bill results a lot of money and
    renewable grants. I have no problem with bug ear marks,you have to understand
    the damage they do. The problem Is the farmers they may have a thousand acres
    that has been clear of all defects.Then they plant or graze 500 acres for grants.
    They abandon 500 acres for a couple of years to be reinfested and wait help again
    for help from a grant, a cycle that keeps going for years.Always waiting to be rescued.
    High milk prices results,futures they bet on having good or bad year
    at your expense.The rules are in there favor.This applies to all states,you need a food supply.
    I don't want have hard words, just a post. I always stand to be corrected on any post,the contents stands alone I
    don't jest make stuff up to be posting.